Putting Animals Down

To a human, human life seems the most important[/Quote]

Not to all humans.

To an animal it's own life is the most important, I've yet to see a compassionate predator[/Quote]

To most humans, their own lives seem the most important, some humans are compassionate, some animals are compassionate. Your specific example of a hunter applies to both humans and the rest of the animal kingdom.

But if you can, point me in that direction[/Quote]

The lioness who puts her own life in danger to protect her cub. If you're going to challenge me at least make it challenging.

As for the differences within a species being better, why do you think they have animal shows Crufts being one of many, beauty contests for humans and sporting events to name but a few,

not to say they are the worst surely.

I wasn't talking about superficial competitions.

I was referring to human beings who view other human beings as 'less' than they are, like the people who view homeless, or gays, or blacks as less than they are.

Thanks for your answers but you still haven't answered the 'why' in my questions.

Wild animals roaming free can "eat out" their habitat. If deer "live naturally", humans do not need to cull them; the wolves will do it, at no extra charge.

If humans attempt to farm in the range used by wild animals, there will be crop and stock losses. Check the literature for elephant damage to the vegetation of parks in Africa. Ask any forester where deer roam, whether his trees are damaged.

We allow dogs and cats to breed, and eventually their numbers become too many for us to feed. George R. Martin tells of a "right to life " situation in his book "Tuf Voyaging", where a traveller leaves a pair of cats in a nation where "life is sacred". A few years later, the nation is overrun. (Apologies for citing a work of fiction here, but George tells the story better than I can)

My beloved standard poodle developed arthritis, and was crippled and in pain despite extensive treatment (there will be suggestions, but I bet we have tried them)

At last, I held him while the vet injected him, and he died in my arms. Took me a few weeks to get over it!

If a cat has a litter of 6 each year, for 5 years, and the kits follow suit, how many will you have after 20 years? (these are conservative figures).

In the "happy state of nature", disease, parasites, accidents, starvation and predators take care of the "culling". It's not real nice for the animals!

Not to all humans.

To most humans, their own lives seem the most important, some humans are compassionate, some animals are compassionate. Your specific example of a hunter applies to both humans and the rest of the animal kingdom.

The lioness who puts her own life in danger to protect her cub. If you're going to challenge me at least make it challenging.

I wasn't talking about superficial competitions.

I was referring to human beings who view other human beings as 'less' than they are, like the people who view homeless, or gays, or blacks as less than they are.

Thanks for your answers but you still haven't answered the 'why' in my questions.

Compassion in lions?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-439534/Astonishing-pictures-cub-killed-insolence.html

Citing a case as evidence of a whole species is nothing short of clutching at straws.

Does the man who threw his child against a wall and killed it represent a lack of compassion in the entire human species?

As humans are animals, and other animals are also animals, we can reasonably deduce (and taking even a small amount of time to watch animals backs this up) that some, lions, for example are nasty, as a some people, some are caring, as are some people.

We can say for certain that a lioness will defend her cub. A lion that attacks a cub doesn't undermine compassion in lions, it shows some lions are devoid of it.

A man who throws a baby against a wall doesn't undermine compassion in humans, it shows some humans are devoid of it.

Citing a case as evidence of a whole species is nothing short of clutching at straws.

Does the man who threw his child against a wall and killed it represent a lack of compassion in the entire human species?

As humans are animals, and other animals are also animals, we can reasonably deduce (and taking even a small amount of time to watch animals backs this up) that some, lions, for example are nasty, as a some people, some are caring, as are some people.

We can say for certain that a lioness will defend her cub. A lion that attacks a cub doesn't undermine compassion in lions, it shows some lions are devoid of it.

A man who throws a baby against a wall doesn't undermine compassion in humans, it shows some humans are devoid of it.

Perhaps you're getting protection mixed up with compassion.

Perhaps you're getting protection mixed up with compassion.

Perhaps you're clutching at straws again.

Do a search, actually do the most basic quick google search about compassion in the animal kingdom. Amongst the many, many anecdotal examples there are enough scientific studies to show compassion amongst non human animals isn't just down to 'protection'.

Perhaps you're clutching at straws again.

Do a search, actually do the most basic quick google search about compassion in the animal kingdom. Amongst the many, many anecdotal examples there are enough scientific studies to show compassion amongst non human animals isn't just down to 'protection'.

Methinks you're doing the straw clutching.

Have you found a compassionate predator yet.

Come here Bamby now this might hurt a bit as I'm chewing your leg off, but you have my sympathy, and old Leo over there shares in your misfortune, and will be across shortly to alleviate your suffering.

Methinks you're doing the straw clutching.

Have you found a compassionate predator yet.

Come here Bamby now this might hurt a bit as I'm chewing your leg off, but you have my sympathy, and old Leo over there shares in your misfortune, and will be across shortly to alleviate your suffering.

Why are you insisiting on using the term predator?

My argument was regarding animals on the whole.

Ok lets use another species as an example as lions seems too difficult for you.

Dolphins are predators yet they have been known to show compassion to other species.

NOT the ones they are trying to kill for dinner. As I have already pointed out being predatory does not show that your species is incapable of compassion.

IF that was a test for a lack of compassion then it would show conclusively that humans lack compassion.

As we know this is not the case we know that line of argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Populations can still get out of control...

We have plenty of wild.

Out of control by our standards yes and the reason we cull is mainly (if not wholly in the case of the deer) down to the fact that we've removed its natural predator and reduced its habitat.

Why are you insisiting on using the term predator?

My argument was regarding animals on the whole.

Ok lets use another species as an example as lions seems too difficult for you.

Dolphins are predators yet they have been known to show compassion to other species.

NOT the ones they are trying to kill for dinner. As I have already pointed out being predatory does not show that your species is incapable of compassion.

IF that was a test for a lack of compassion then it would show conclusively that humans lack compassion.

As we know this is not the case we know that line of argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

What humans perceive as compassion, unless of course you're fluent in Dolphin,

what's that Flipper the sardine gets it, but you'll show kindness to the human.

Archived