Hutcliffe Wood Rd shops in the 60s

I can't remember in which order, but there was R. Burton Stevenson grocer, D&P Craven, greengrocer, Graham Sendall chemist.. I can't remember any of the others, can anyone else? I know I would recognise the names, but it is well over 40 years since I lived in the area!

Here is a scan from the 1965 street directory, low numbers @ Abbey Lane end of Hutcliffe Wood Road.

Thanks me and pippo. It's amazing how you can remember some but not all when you're trying to remember a parade of shops.

I think it must have been around the time the PO moved from no 6 to no 10.

I know Harry Dibbo was sub postmaster at no 10. I think no 6 then became a newsagents.

I'd completely forgotten the fish and chip shop and like scousemouse I recall Cravens, Stevensons and Sendalls but strangely the chemist obviously wasn't there in 1965

The 1968 Kelly's Directory shows almost the same shops, with "A. Gill" at No 4 as the only butcher (maybe he was Aubrey Gill?). By the time of the 1973 directory (compiled in 1972) there had been a few changes - here is a scan..:)

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 18:10 ----------

...but strangely the chemist obviously wasn't there in 1965
The 1954 directory shows "Sheffield & Ecclesall Cooperative Society Ltd, chemists" at No 20..:)

Thanks hillsbro. That settles one of the issues. Aubrey Harrison was the butcher at no 4. I remember him from being a regular at the Abbey Hotel where I think he was in the bowling club.

I'm absolutely certain that the Post Office was at no 10 in the late 60s until it closed. I can't understand why the 2 entries in Kellys say differently. The Harry Dibbo listed at no 10 was definitely sub postmaster

...Aubrey Harrison was the butcher at no 4. ...
Yep - Aubrey Harrison, born Sheffield 11 February 1920, died Sheffield April 1997.
...The Harry Dibbo listed at no 10 was definitely sub postmaster
Harry Dibbo, born Carbrook, Sheffield 19 August 1910, died Chesterfield December 1998. Must have been a mistake in Kelly's (not the first I've seen!).:)

Archived