Ignored when asking women for directions

It's the world we live in. I don't ask anyone anything or indeed answer anything. I thought it was because I was just antisocial.

I wouldn't take it personally, but as we (girls, children and women) are constantly warned of stranger danger etc, it's kind of ingrained. Added to that are the deeply unpleasant experiences that many women have experienced (see @everydaysexsim twitter feed) and that is the world that we live in. Not nice.

Mock all you like, but this is the reason why. Don't blame women for not being good Samaritans when some men will use this as a ruse to do all kinds of things. Yep, been there, stopped and gave directions and was then asked to get in the car and show him the way. This is one of several similar experiences. What do you suggest?

Not getting in the car is the obvious one but I suspect you knew that one. Not assuming all men are scum like you usually do is the other one, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Not getting in the car is the obvious one but I suspect you knew that one. Not assuming all men are scum like you usually do is the other one, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Yeah well, easy to shoot the messenger rather than those who pose a threat to women.

Merely pointing out some facts is not shooting the messenger. You however may want to moderate your tone if you want any freinds left at all.

I have plenty of friends thanks, many whom I've met through SF. Thanks for the unsolicited advice which with all due respect, I shall ignore. Sugar and spice and all that, it didn't exactly get us the vote, did it?

Oh well, you know, we're constantly being lectured about preventing street harassment and rape etc, so it's not really surprising is it? When it's our fault for engaging in conversation with random men. Ergo, it's natural that some women will be wary when approached by a male stranger.

Just don't be too surprised when lots of men drive past you and ignore you when you're stood at the side of the road by your broken-down vehicle.

Archived