New Cinema on The Moor - Light

Whatever the council do to try and revitalise the city center won't be good enough for some, they would rather bring up no free parking etc.

Even as a lifetime non-car owner I can understand how off-putting it can be to pay exorbitant parking charges or to struggle to find anywhere convenient to park.

Now if Sheffield city centre had no competition, car owners would just have to grin and bear it. But there is competition, and not just from Meadowhall.

I'm sure Julie Dore et al. would have been more suited to running a small Russian town in the old USSR. There, people really did have to do what they were told, rather than exercising their pesky freedom of choice to shop and eat and watch movies where they want (the nerve!).

Consumers vote with their feet as well as at the ballot box.

Ah, you got me there, as an independent showing the type of films it does it doesn't really compete with the Odeon much though.

Well it's currently showing Pacific Rim, Alpha Papa and The World's End so it's not always independent films :)

Even as a lifetime non-car owner I can understand how off-putting it can be to pay exorbitant parking charges or to struggle to find anywhere convenient to park.

Now if Sheffield city centre had no competition, car owners would just have to grin and bear it. But there is competition, and not just from Meadowhall.

I'm sure Julie Dore et al. would have been more suited to running a small Russian town in the old USSR. There, people really did have to do what they were told, rather than exercising their pesky freedom of choice to shop and eat and watch movies where they want (the nerve!).

Consumers vote with their feet as well as at the ballot box.

As a lifetime non-car owner you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

SCC parking charges are LESS than most our neighbours, so that's hardly an issue. Outskirts car parks are as little as £2 all day and even some of the central (including calver street/science park) are just £5 a day.

There are thousands of street, surface and private car parking spaces in the city centre. Even in the middle of the day you will will find a gap so there is hardly a parking crisis.

Any shopping centre with thousands of free spaces just off the motorway is bound to attract more custom. However, a city centre is far more than just shops. People work here, do business here live here, study here, stay here. That's why parking is not free. Why do people go to m/hall? Shop. That's it.

As for your nonsense about freedom of choice? I dont even know what you are trying to get at. Who is blocking freedom of choice? You can drive if you wish. Nobody is stopping you. We have shops, we have bars, we have cinemas. What exactly is being restricted here.

So, you were saying?

Edited by ECCOnoob

As a lifetime non-car owner you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

SCC parking charges are LESS than most our neighbours, so that's hardly an issue. Outskirts car parks are as little as £2 all day and even some of the central (including calver street/science park) are just £5 a day.

There are thousands of street, surface and private car parking spaces in the city centre. Even in the middle of the day you will will find a gap so there is hardly a parking crisis.

Any shopping centre with thousands of free spaces just off the motorway is bound to attract more custom. However, a city centre is far more than just shops. People work here, do business here live here, study here, stay here. That's why parking is not free. Why do people go to m/hall? Shop. That's it.

As for your nonsense about freedom of choice? I dont even know what you are trying to get at. Who is blocking freedom of choice? You can drive if you wish. Nobody is stopping you. We have shops, we have bars, we have cinemas. What exactly is being restricted here.

So, you were saying?

5 pound a day so thats 25 for 5 working days is that ok then ?

i deal with a lot of deliverys and they hate sheffield as its anti transport delivery cars etc

5 pound a day so thats 25 for 5 working days is that ok then ?

i deal with a lot of deliverys and they hate sheffield as its anti transport delivery cars etc

if you're working in Sheffield city centre you can get discounts, I think it's as much as 50% depending on the car park.

^^^^^^^^^^ what they said.

Plus those parking daily are most likely to use one of £2 - £3 a day car parks.

Besides, a weekly saver on First Buses is anything up to £20 a week so its hardly an extortionate parking fee for the most central areas. Anyone commuting from outside the area will likely pay even more than that each week.

• 1 month later...