New Cinema on The Moor - Light

I made the mistake of seeing it at Cineworld :(

The screen is not all that big and doesn't wrap around- just has a very slight curve which contributes nothing to the experience, but a few quid extra to your ticket price!

Wow, that's a big difference. I think i need to experience a proper IMAX screen now.

If you have the opportunity to see a blockbuster like Dark Knight Rises on a proper IMAX screen, then you should go.

The projection screen is massive and the film uses all of it.

The opening scene of DKR with the air-hijacking takes your breath away and the widescreen views of Gotham from above will give you vertigo.

When there’s an on-screen dialogue taking place, you feel you’re watching a tennis game, turning your head from left to right, then back again, and again...

As for those complaints about Bane sounding like Sean Connery slowed down to 33rpm... they’re still valid even on IMAX, but at least explosions sound like they’re going off nearby and not several streets away.

My fear with IMAX is that filmmakers will eventually abandon the format due to difficulties working with it. The cameras are more expensive than normal cameras ($500,000?!) are heavier and are LOUDER too, making it difficult to record audio dialogue, which is probably why they’re only used for external scenes where the audio can be added later. The film-loading times for IMAX camera are ridiculous - I’ve read it takes up to 20 minutes to load enough film to shoot just three-minutes worth of movie.

Really, full IMAX ranks as one of the miracles of the modern age such as the ending of Apartheid (Nelson Mandela), peace in Northern Ireland (John Major), the telephone (Steve Jobs), the personal computer (Steve Jobs) and small handheld devices capable of playing recorded music (Steve Jobs) and online shopping (also Steve Jobs).

I'd use it, I hate centertainment, you can never get parked. The one on the Moor will be more accessible for people living south of the city.

Totally agree. You drive round and round and end up behind the restaurants hoping it's not a no parking area and you're going to get a ticket when you get back. Then you stand waiting for a table in the overpriced restaurant chains and eventually sit down at a table with the previous peoples food still on it. I live in South Sheffield and am really looking forward to it.

This is exactly what's wrong with Sheffield and it's people...a new development is discussed and immediately everyone pounces with negative comments about it, get with the times Sheffield...you moan that the council are destroying the city centre and when they try to develop it, you all moan :huh:

On a brighter note, I'd definitely use it if it's half decent.

They have loads of them in America. People don't go to the cinema just to watch films anymore. You can download them off the internet for free. It's more about the experience and seeing them on a giant screen.
There's a eight cinema multiplex about a half mile away that's been closed for three years now. It's falling apart, the giant parking lot full of potholes. The few movie houses still open fill up with teens in the summer to watch explosions and massive fires unless they're having a little afternoon delight.. They stopped watching kung fu in the nineties. The Oscar lovers buy theirs on line, so they can sit and drink themselves stupid on dry martinis.

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 16:00 ----------

America doesn't really have high streets like we do though. Well they do but they aren't popular. There's more of a universal car culture over there.
We have high streets, where everybody is high on them. Best not walk on them unless you're packing, and I don't mean packing for your holidays.

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 16:10 ----------

They have drive through everythings.

A drive through ATM. How lazy is that!

Drive through weddings in Vegas.

Let me explain something to you. One of the reasons we like drive through ATMs is because it's not impossible to find some guy behind you while you're standing at the ATM who has a gun pointing at you. The car offers you a bit more security. My wife won't even go into the bank, she uses drive through for everything, and I don't blame her.

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 16:11 ----------

They have drive through everythings.

A drive through ATM. How lazy is that!

Drive through weddings in Vegas.

Let me explain something to you. One of the reasons we like drive through ATMs is because it's not impossible to find some guy behind you while you're standing at the ATM who has a gun pointing at you. The car offers you a bit more security. My wife won't even go into the bank, she uses drive through for everything, and I don't blame her.

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 16:15 ----------

I saw a drive thru ATM in Bridgeton Maine. It seemed oddly out of place there, because the town was beaut and seemed old-fashioned USA.

I watched Star Wars (2004) new one there in a drive in thing. I got there about 4 hours before it started thinking it was going to be packed. When it started there was us, and one other car. Still, I enjoyed it just for the experience. Going for a p!$$ wasn't pleasant though. Open type toilets and it was mosquitoarama.

You must have visited about the last remaining drive in movie in America, even in Maine which is not the most forward state in the union. But it is my favorite place in all New England, black flies and all.

Been in town again today and had a gander, they seem to digging downwards now so looks like they are maximising the space for the screens.

The top of the Moor is looking much better, shame about the old McDonalds building on the corner that looks so crap.

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 21:24 ----------

Hey, if the cinema looks great with some nice restaurants we mite start to have some red carpet premiers, the Moor would fit thousands of fans.

Edited by BEDROCK

Been in town again today and had a gander, they seem to digging downwards now so looks like they are maximising the space for the screens.

It's fascinating to watch those diggers; several of them working close together, like giant worker ants tending to their business.

One of those diggers seemed to be stuck at the bottom of the hole this lunchtime; dunno how they're gonna get it out :help:

And the others seem to be in competition to see who can build the biggest pile of rubble :huh: