New Cinema on The Moor - Light

I welcome any company willing to invest in Sheffield opening a venue like this can only benefit the city. If no one tried at all, there would only be empty shops, pawn shops, bookies & cash for gold.

Another cinema is a great thing as increased competition can only bring price down or improve service. Anyone who doesn't want to go to this can continue to visit other cinemas or non at all.

I don't think parking will be an issue, plenty of cities have cinemas without car parks.

Around 20% of customers are children & 30% are student/teenager who don't drive.

Then there's the people who live close by, hotel customers, people who use public transport & people like me who like to have a drink before they go in.

People could always use those empty car parks on Wellington Street, I bet thats the same distance from the cinema as meadowhall/cineworld car parks can be if your not right at the front.

Does anyone know what the hold up is on this development?

It seemed to be full steam ahead for a while, with the old shops being demolished and the site cleared.

Then a big hole in the car park behind appeared, and now it just seems to have been abandoned.

Is the building behind the plot (between Rockingham Way and Charter Row) actually going to be demolished too? If so, why the delay :huh:

Does anyone know what the hold up is on this development?

It seemed to be full steam ahead for a while, with the old shops being demolished and the site cleared.

Then a big hole in the car park behind appeared, and now it just seems to have been abandoned.

Is the building behind the plot (between Rockingham Way and Charter Row) actually going to be demolished too? If so, why the delay :huh:

Exactly what i was thinking. Was just odd for them to knock that big chunt of building down and then leave it.

Be ironic if the new cinema is in fact an Odeon. There is ample parking space available. I can see many people going would already be in the city centre or go on their way home because they were in Town already. I can now see it doing very well and will be a good way of keeping a lot of life in the Moor after the shops close.

Nothing seems to be happening at the moment. The Charter Row side of that building has all meshing round it to stop debris falling on the pavement. It looks like that will be coming down before they start work on the whole complex. Why they didn't knock the whole thing down in one go isn't clear. Maybe they found asbestos, a dodo's nest or a roman heritage site.

• 1 month later...

‘Advanced discussions’ are taking place with a ‘quality cinema operator’ and another fashion retailer for sites on The Moor.

The cinema operator is set to move into the new building to be created below Debenhams once demolition work is completed. It will also include numerous restaurants along with a relocated Primark store.

The restaurants and cinema will be expected to open in 2016 after Primark opens in 2015.

Kerri Hunter, deputy fund manager at Scottish Widows, which manages The Moor, said: “The Moor development will revitalise Sheffield city centre.

“We are working towards creating an area that provides a quality retail and leisure environment as well as an evening economy, which will increase dwell time and so extend shopping hours.

“Improved retail facilities will boost the potential for both day and evening custom – and encourage more offices and residential accommodation to be built.

“The Moor represents the first opportunity for many years to secure retail and leisure units accommodating modern requirements.”

Recent openings on The Moor include TJ Hughes, while a new Iceland and Poundland are being fitted out.

i'm guessing (and sincerely hoping) that they are just waiting until the market, Poundland and Iceland open up over the next week or so. Then, hopefully, because there'll be nothing else left to do, work will continue on demolishing the middle block on The Moor. It's possible that it could all open in 2015 but they are probably giving themselves leeway.

Personally, I think I'm more interested to hear who the apparent cinema company and the clothing retailer will be.

so, if it's not due to open till 2016, why have they knocked it all down now?

Wouldn't it have been better to leave it, and have shops and things in the building for a couple of years?

They would be earning revenue. Instead of having a pile of rubble where the building was, and a chunk out of the old car park behind it, making the whole place look terrible...