"Sources Say" News Stories.

Surely during the Leverson Enquiry they shouldve included that the press cannot print stories that only rely on the evidence from 'Sources'. Not any quotes from anyone by name.

This is just a loophole from the media to print anything they like and quote fictional statements to back up their reports.

I notice this more during the football transfer window when this form on journalism is the norm. Id love to see a study on how many stories actually become reality. Im sure its a tiny percentage.

I now scan stories and will only take them as news if they have a actual comment in speech marks from someone who is directly involved in the story who is invisible or a bloke they found down the pub.

Do you have to believe what they write?

I"ve no personal experience of most of the news articles I've read in the Newspapers.

Where I do know what happened (because I was there, or because I have significant local knowledge) it's not uncommon to find that the story is riddled with inaccuracies.

Newspapers are not required to print the truth, nor are they required to ensure that that which they do print is accurate in any way.

That's why I don't buy newspapers. what you do is up to you.

Thats my point. I dont believe what they write but im sure that a high proportion of the british public (like my nan) do.

i dont buy papers but i have all the main apps on my phone, ipad etc.

News agency's should have an obligation to the public to print non-fictional or non sensationalised stories.

Agency's like the BBC, Sky etc

'The two most common elements in the Universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity'.

I suspect the Universe may run out of Hydrogen one day.

As the Russians used to say: "There's bugger-all Pravda (Truth) in Isvestia (The News) and there's even less News in the Truth."

They worked that out many years ago. Are you suggesting that the concept that Newspapers (and other media) may not tell 'The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' is new to the West?

Would you like to buy a bridge? - You could make a fortune from tolls and I've got one I can sell you cheep (Well, it is SF :))

'The two most common elements in the Universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity'.

I suspect the Universe may run out of Hydrogen one day.

As the Russians used to say: "There's bugger-all Pravda (Truth) in Isvestia (The News) and there's even less News in the Truth."

They worked that out many years ago. Are you suggesting that the concept that Newspapers (and other media) may not tell 'The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' is new to the West?

Would you like to buy a bridge? - You could make a fortune from tolls and I've got one I can sell you cheep (Well, it is SF :))

Hence my reference to the 'Leverson Enquiry'

Nevermind!

Television is entertainment. Anyone who believes what they see on TV to be real is stupid. The only way to find out the truth is to find out for yourself. The problem is, most people are too lazy to do that.

I have been lazy to be honest.

I didnt fly to Oaklahoma to confirm that 'Sources' say 91 people had died as reported by the BBC & Sky instead of the actual 24.

Or that Ronlado is flying back to Manchester to sign at Man U.

Both total balls.

Mitch: W-we're not sure what exactly is going on inside the town of Beaverton, uh Tom, but we're reporting that there's looting, raping, and yes, even acts of cannibalism.

Tom: My God, you've, you've actually seen people looting, raping and eating each other?

Mitch: No, no, we haven't actually seen it Tom, we're just reporting it.

Good old South Park

Television is entertainment. Anyone who believes what they see on TV to be real is stupid. The only way to find out the truth is to find out for yourself. The problem is, most people are too lazy to do that.

Apart from actually being there to witness the 'truth', how can we find out what the truth is? I don't watch much TV, and, although I do admit I'm quite lazy, I like to find out what's going on. Where can I get more information and find out for myself?

Archived