Banning Lads Magazines

As the father of a teenage girl who has all the usual hangups that teenage girls have, but a lot more than teenage girls use to have, I do worry about the objectifying of women that goes on, but ...

I think her hang ups are intensified by the magazines and media that are targeted at young women far more than the magazines that are targeted at young men.

There's nothing worse than some of the women editorial content which is preoccupied with beauty, looks, fashion and celebrity. Worst of the lot is the Daily Mail. Every time I visit the site it just chills me to notice the "stories" down the right hand side about who looks good in a bikini, or the rejoicing at some celebrity cellulite. This sort of media seems to be far more insidious than any lads mags, or page 3 for that matter, in my opinion.

It's all insidious and dangerous quisquose. One very obvious example is the the dreadful message by teenaged and younger girls received via almost everywhere that to be desirable or even acceptable means they must remove all traces of body hair. It's utterly scandalous and it's a form of body fascism that most of the mainstream media have acquiesced to.

Eugh, you seem to over-empathising with the rapist here. So the receptacle of this rapist is immaterial? The fact that she is not consenting and not enjoying it clearly matters not a jot the man who is raping her?

Fair enough. Your choice.

I would think it’s very important, an heterosexual man wouldn't rape a man because he wouldn’t find the man sexually attractive.

No, I said there are many different reasons for rape, they aren't all the same, and the motivation for rape is different from individual to individual.

Hugely mad with no hope of ever having sex with a beautiful girl, rape in his case isn’t motivated by hate or sexism.

Oh, right, what is it motivated by then? He really adores this beautiful woman who he hasn't a help in hell's chance of having consensual sex with, so rapes her out of inadequacy? I see.

You really are appallingly dense.

Dito

Are you claiming they loved them really?

The motive was getting off on subjugating their victims to their will, making them vessels for their hate and sexual anger. That they were largely white girls is a product of the available pool of victims.

You're making arbitrary distinctions and setting up a false rationale to suit your own racially divisive agenda.

No, it that case I believe that despised their victims.

I would think it’s very important, an heterosexual man wouldn't rape a man because he wouldn’t find the man sexually attractive.

Heterosexual men rape men in prison. They feminise them, refer to them as 'she' and 'bitches'. Why do they feminise them thus?

Heterosexual men rape men in prison. They feminise them, refer to them as 'she' and 'bitches'. Why do they feminise them thus?

I think I know why, but I'll wait and see what MrSmith says first...

Hopefully one day it will be replaced with Equalityism, as some feminist seems as sexist as the things they want to change.

Personally, I would like to see it replaced with humanism at some point. Feminism is essentially a human right.

Feminism is essentially the fight for equality for women, equalityism would just be feminism on a broader scale, fighting for equality for all. Humanism would encompass that.

Going back to what this topic is about, 'banning' publications that contain titillating images is nothing to do with equality for women and threatening to prosecute shops for selling such magazines does nothing except tarnish mainstream feminism with this rather extremist image.

Feminism is essentially the fight for equality for women, equalityism would just be feminism on a broader scale, fighting for equality for all. Humanism would encompass that.

I am a humanist but first and foremost the huge inequalities between the sexes needs addressing as that for me is the greatest injustice and holds back women on a global scale.

---------- Post added 28-05-2013 at 18:59 ----------

Let us just remember that this not about banning lads' mags per se but about the supermarkets and Smiths not stocking them. I wouldn't define that as militant by any stretch.

Archived