Banning Lads Magazines

Kat Banyard said

"They promote sexist attitudes and behaviours - attitudes which underpin violence against women,"

My problem with this statement is that sexist attitudes and violence against women were significantly worse in the past, long before lads mags and is significantly worse in the countries that don't sell lads mags.

My problem with this statement is that sexist attitudes and violence against women were significantly worse in the past, long before lads mags and is significantly worse in the countries that don't sell lads mags.

Another classically bland and empty sweeping statement, underpinned by a massive logical flaw. Well done, it must take years of practice.

You go on, lads. Let it all out. All the lechery, all the insults, all the pent-up rage. All the patronising comments, all the shouting in bold type.

Do you feel better now? A bit more like you've managed to convince some 'mingers' to see the error of their ways? Feel you've made a significant contribution to the gender debate?

Have the mods had a clean up or something?

I cant see anything like that save for the obvious and totally harmless "minger" jibe.

You go on, lads. Let it all out. All the lechery, all the insults, all the pent-up rage. All the patronising comments, all the shouting in bold type.

Do you feel better now? A bit more like you've managed to convince some 'mingers' to see the error of their ways? Feel you've made a significant contribution to the gender debate?

Do you want to consider answering the valid point made two posts above yours?

Many of these magazines are gratuitous - not just from the titilation factor but the body fascism inherent in these magazines.

I used to buy Gay Times about 10 years ago, and I remember they published a special feature on the rise of male body dysmorphia (or something like that), in which sufferers talked about the bodies they desperately wanted but could not achieve, and how it caused unhappiness and mental health difficulties. This article was in the middle of a magazine which had glossy photos of beautified male models and their adonis like bodies.

I wouldn't want them banned but maybe a little bit more thought and responsibility from the editors would be a good thing.

Have the mods had a clean up or something?

I cant see anything like that save for the obvious and totally harmless "minger" jibe.

Perhaps men who object to feminists are ugly with incredibly small genitalia and suffer from acute premature ejaculation?

Perhaps men who object to feminists are ugly with incredibly small genitalia and suffer from acute premature ejaculation?

Its people like you with comments like the above that give women and equality a bad name- you need a reality check

Many of these magazines are gratuitous - not just from the titilation factor but the body fascism inherent in these magazines.

I used to buy Gay Times about 10 years ago, and I remember they published a special feature on the rise of male body dysmorphia (or something like that), in which sufferers talked about the bodies they desperately wanted but could not achieve, and how it caused unhappiness and mental health difficulties. This article was in the middle of a magazine which had glossy photos of beautified male models and their adonis like bodies.

I wouldn't want them banned but maybe a little bit more thought and responsibility from the editors would be a good thing.

If they didn't think about it, people wouldn't buy them, and obviousely people buy them so they must be doing something right.

Archived