Banning Lads Magazines

If I was going to make a wild stab in the dark at why it might be I'd probably land on the fact that women who speak up about equality are threatening to male dominance. One way of trying to prevent women either speaking up or even thinking about that stuff is to give them the impression that if they do, they'll be perceived as unattractive to men. And it works, up to a point. No one likes to be called ugly, unattractive or whatever. For some people, the risk of that happening would be enough to silence them.

The other tactics are to tell women who speak up that they're mad/crazy/insane/hysterical/over-thinking. It works in a similar way. Telling women to 'calm down' when they engage in stuff like this is the telling phrase here.

And then there's the bit about how feminists aren't 'normal' women, or the argument that 'most women don't think like this'.

All of them work in the same way - trying to make women feel isolated, different, strange, unattractive. It's a means of 'othering' feminists and suggesting that they aren't part of 'normal' society.

The same responses to women's calls for equality or other deviant behaviour have been going on for literally centuries. You'd think that the clever misogynists would have hit on a different tactic to try and express their dissatisfaction with uppity women by now since these ones are so transparent, but it seems not.

Quite so. They can't burn us at the stake any more so take on all of the above. Well, men can call me ugly or a misandrist till the cows come home, but I won't be silenced by this pathetic and hackneyed form of misogynistic bullying.

Womens magazines are packed full of sex and are alot worse than mens mags. In fact its all thats in them. 'More' magazine has position of the month for god sake.

I bought FHM for years and there are pictures of girls but alot of other stuff like football, film, gadgets etc

I agree that The Sun should get rid of Page 3 though. Its very outdated. They should have got rid of that at the same time that 'lady gardens' went out of fashion in the 90's!

I think a lot of these glossies are sex and beauty obesessed full stop. Also they're full of advertisements of expensive products that people cannot live without.

Sex has always been used to sell, but never in such a gratuitous way as it is now.

lol this threads funny

the most vociferous opponants of this action against lads mags are exactly those that are also against muslim women "choosing" to cover up by wearing burkas etc

it actually makes you wonder if they want to see muslim ladies in lads mags and page 3 Oo

the mind boggles

Muslim women are now marrying each other. Times are changing...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2331214/Rehana-Kausar-Sobia-Kamar-Pakistani-lesbians-Muslim-gay-couple-wed-UK-claim-political-asylum.html

Quite so. They can't burn us at the stake any more so take on all of the above. Well, men can call me ugly or a misandrist till the cows come home, but I won't be silenced by this pathetic and hackneyed form of misogynistic bullying.

When I was 19 I was in a club with my friend, talking. A man who was probably 50+ came over and started chatting us up. I asked him, politely, to leave us alone. He carried on. I asked him rather less politely to leave us alone and he responded by shouting in my face that I was an ugly lesbian who should kill herself.

At 19 I was furious about it. Now ten plus years later I'm accustomed to it, and I know a lot more about why it happens, and have pretty much nothing but contempt for people who engage it in in any form.

lol this threads funny

the most vociferous opponants of this action against lads mags are exactly those that are also against muslim women "choosing" to cover up by wearing burkas etc

it actually makes you wonder if they want to see muslim ladies in lads mags and page 3 Oo

the mind boggles

Like this one.

A model bidding to become the first Muslim to represent the UK in the world final of Miss Universe has been defending her decision to enter.

Shanna Bukhari, who is 24 and lives in Manchester, said she's been sent racist and abusive messages since making it to the beauty contest's UK final.

She believes Muslims in the UK should be allowed to have a western lifestyle.

But Muslim groups have accused her of disrespecting Islam.

They have faced death threats from both Pakistan and the UK

How tolerant. I hope the threats originating from the UK are being investigated without the hindrance of "cultural sensitivities" as making death threats is a serious crime.

How tolerant. I hope the threats originating from the UK are being investigated without the hindrance of "cultural sensitivities" as making death threats is a serious crime.

in the uk they probably got death threats from all sorts of types of people

lol this threads funny

the mind boggles

It would be nice if they had the choice doing whatever they want without being disowned by their communities, or worse.

When I was 19 I was in a club with my friend, talking. A man who was probably 50+ came over and started chatting us up. I asked him, politely, to leave us alone. He carried on. I asked him rather less politely to leave us alone and he responded by shouting in my face that I was an ugly lesbian who should kill herself.

At 19 I was furious about it. Now ten plus years later I'm accustomed to it, and I know a lot more about why it happens, and have pretty much nothing but contempt for people who engage it in in any form.

Oh but, we're supposed to be grateful for every scrap of male attention we get and lap it up.

Archived