Can anyone advise with regards to legal aid please?

Hope someone on here can help me out. Going through something at the minute and could do with a really good solicitor. Thing is, we are not on a high enough income to afford one at the moment and wondered how legal aid works and who's eligible? Also, any recommendations of solicitors would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Oh dear :( Well I don't know what category it comes under, but basically, someone is sueing for compo (which they do not deserve) and just needed to get a bit of advice before going it alone....

Ah right, civil then.

I'm afraid you won't get legal aid for that.

There's been a lot of changes in the law on this. Are they suing you for an injury? If so, there's a very important change called QOCS, which means that if they win, you pay their costs, although there's a limit now. If they lose, and you defend the claim, you can't claim your costs. There's quite a lot to it - if you can post a little more detail, I can explain further (and before anyone says it, I don't do defence work, I'm entirely claimant, so I'm not chasing any type of vehicle!)

Forgot to add - if you're insured, you should get cover via your insurers for the legal fees.

Unfortunately, i didnt tick that option (i think)....silly me i know, but i couldnt afford it at the time. Another thing is, I've since sold the vehicle involved and I'm with different insurers. Who do I tell, my current or before insurance?

Ah right, civil then.

I'm afraid you won't get legal aid for that.

There's been a lot of changes in the law on this. Are they suing you for an injury? If so, there's a very important change called QOCS, which means that if they win, you pay their costs, although there's a limit now. If they lose, and you defend the claim, you can't claim your costs. There's quite a lot to it - if you can post a little more detail, I can explain further (and before anyone says it, I don't do defence work, I'm entirely claimant, so I'm not chasing any type of vehicle!)

Forgot to add - if you're insured, you should get cover via your insurers for the legal fees.

Where's the justice in that?

Unfortunately, i didnt tick that option (i think)....silly me i know, but i couldnt afford it at the time. Another thing is, I've since sold the vehicle involved and I'm with different insurers. Who do I tell, my current or before insurance?

It's not legal expense insurance - that's a different thing.

If it's a car accident, and the vehicle was insured, tell your insurers urgently (the ones who insured the vehicle at the time), and they will deal with everything. You have to do it urgently as they can refuse to indemnify you if you don't report it as soon as practical (it's a policy term).

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 21:02 ----------

Where's the justice in that?

I agree. There's many parts of the new law that are unfair. Blame Mr Jackson, as I certainly do.

Imagine someone genuinely injured - someone injured through negligent delivery at birth etc - they now lose a significant portion of their damages as various parts of their legal costs can't be recovered from the Defendant.

Not at fault, but lose out on money that they should get. Again - no justice.

Well I did let them know within 24hrs of the accident (which was march last year) but I can't remember who I was insured with....will my current insurance know this?

If you get a letter of claim (or something headed RTA2 CNF, or anything similar) then that's the point they need to be told.

Your current insurers should be able to tell you, as they have access to a thing called the MIDIS database. If you reported the claim, it'll make no difference to premiums so no harm done. I have access to MIDIS but we have to agree to only use it for claims we're dealing with, and as I say we only do Claimant work, but your insurers can tell you.

I really hope they can help as, even though I've put my case together, I don't think I could stand up and do it alone....thanks for your help. I will ring them first thing tomorrow, fingers crossed all goes well! :thumbsup:

Archived