Help for Heroes announce they will not accept donations from EDL

As stated before the EDL aren't a political party, I don't even think they could be described as a political organisation.

Just checked.

The English Defence League (EDL) is a far-right street protest movement .

you didnt CHECK far enough did you?

from their wiki

Tommy Robinson, an EDL co-founder, has reportedly considered forming a political party.[23] In November 2011, the EDL formed an alliance with an offshoot of the British National Party (BNP), known as the British Freedom Party, under which EDL members would be invited to join and stand as candidates in elections.[24] Another senior member is Alan Lake, who has been described as the EDL's chief financier, which Lake denies.[25] According to Searchlight, Lake plays an important role[clarification needed] in expanding EDL's international network.[26] Hope not Hate stated that the EDL is the "largest rightwing threat in the UK today", which mobilizes between "100 to 3000" supporters on the streets

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 22:07 ----------

They describe themselves as.

The English Defence League (EDL) is a human rights organisation

people can call themselves what they want, doesnt make it true, what about the human rights of the muslims that they intimidate on a daily / weekly basis?

They should accept donations from everyone, regardless of political belief. They certainly shouldn't pander to liberals, many of whom despise the armed forces.

..or pander to extremists, many of whom despise the Muslim personnel who serve in our armed forces.

Do you not understand the difference between an individual making a private donation and a political organisation making a donation?

I do understand the difference but the wording in the article is ambiguous:

The charity will check for any further donations from EDL members and said they would not accept any donations from the group.

Perhaps as you seem to know more than I do you could explain what they mean by "check for any further donations from EDL members" since individuals should be able to donate regardless of political affiliation as long as it's not via their chosen political organisation.

Many people with no EDL membership would have donated via Just Giving, aren't they individuals?

Considered forming a political party.

So not a politicle party then, if they were they wouldn't be considering forming one would they?

MORE political than a person just collecting for a good cause

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 22:10 ----------

Perhaps as you seem to know more than I do you could explain what they mean by "check for any further donations from EDL members" since individuals should be able to donate regardless of political affiliation as long as it's not via their chosen political organisation.

Many people with no EDL membership would have donated via Just Giving, aren't they individuals?

exactly, thats why im a bit dubious about it, even tho i support it not to become an EDL poitical football

That's fine because I certainly will and I can imagine many others will too given their objection to the EDL.

Well done HfH, more money coming your way!

So some people were refusing to donate on the basis of some other people they don't like were also donating? How petty!

Should Childline or Children in Need accept a donation from a convicted child abuser?

Yes, why not?

That’s like saying the victims of Jimmy Savile shouldn’t accept compensation from his estate.

Archived