Heritage railways threatened by price of coal.

It's more that proper steam coal is tricky to get because not many people want it. Anthracite is generally supplied in too small a grade to be useful in a locomotive firebox - it falls out the grate!

I'm puzzled why it should be a problem. These guys aren't doing the London to Edinburgh express or a 600 ton night freight. They can put any grid in the firebox and burn any coal as the longest steam line is only around 18 miles and rather lacking in gradients.

I'm not too sure of the details.... However from conversations I had with some of the traction engine guys at the Temple Newsam steam thing the coal quality is important. It's not the heat but the lack of soots and other stuff that they are also concerned about - lower grade coals are too cool to get up steam well, and also are very acid and attack the insides of the boilers much more than a proper hard coal.

I'm not too sure of the details.... However from conversations I had with some of the traction engine guys at the Temple Newsam steam thing the coal quality is important. It's not the heat but the lack of soots and other stuff that they are also concerned about - lower grade coals are too cool to get up steam well, and also are very acid and attack the insides of the boilers much more than a proper hard coal.

Another black (sooty) mark against Mrs Thatcher and pit closures.

Are you really suggesting that we should keep a colliery open just to provide a small amount of anthracite, just on the groounds that some steam enthusiasts have some short term trouble sourcing supplies?

That's a huge black rubber stamp marked FAIL for you I'm afraid.

Are you really suggesting that we should keep a colliery open just to provide a small amount of anthracite, just on the groounds that some steam enthusiasts have some short term trouble sourcing supplies?

That's a huge black rubber stamp marked FAIL for you I'm afraid.

No it was a joke.

I got in before the usual forumites.

Archived