Teeth cleaning should be free, or almost?

Similar thing with optical. We have to pay for eye tests / glasses / laser surgery etc. but assumingly if you had some eye infection or blindness you would be whipped away to a opthalmology ward and given NHS treatment to assist / cure it.

exactly - at her two yearly eye check up at the opticians, the optician noticed something wrong with one of the eyes of my girlfriend - the eye test had to be paid for, but the many hours of tests, and reviews at the hospital were provided free of charge

the resulting prescriptions have to be paid for though

I have never understood why we have to pay an NHS dentist, for treatment fair enough but just for a checkup which I had today, was in chair about 2 mins and was charged £18. Dentists do scale and polish which is cleaning, you need to take care of your own teeth and brush twice a day, floss and mouthwash, oral hygiene simples!

The £18 charge should include a scale and polish if you need it.

Band 1 course of treatment – £18.00

This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if needed, and application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx

I went to my dentist yesterday for my 6 month check up. The practise opted out of NHS work some time ago now and finding a participating one was impossible.

15 mins with the Dentist who checked my teeth my gums, inside of my mouth and roof and declared them healthy. Cost £48

30 mins then with the Hygenist who told me what I was or wasn't doing correctly. cleaned and scaled and gave me two interdental brushes with instruction on how and when to use them. Cost £40

Total then £88. and I can rest easy until my next appointment in November. At least it's not gone up since my last appointment 6 months ago :hihi:

Also: mere tooth-brushing is not the answer. Only careful brushing avoids gum damage. The aim is avoid pulling-away the gum from the tooth's base.

Remember the phrase "Long in the tooth"? It happens; as one ages, the gums recede and teeth seem to be lengthened (although they're not, of course).

• 7 months later...
Hi

I am told by my dentist that I have gum discease, and they gave me the option of going to see a dental hygienist.

My first visit involve 2 sessions and cost me around £70.

Not sure why NHS dentists didnt clean my teeth properly, and why it is not done on the NHS.

Some people can still have their teeth when they reach old age, doesnt look good for me. :|

Perhaps its a too many sweet things, or maybe my genes. The thing is, gum discease is linked to heart discease. :help:

I was getting symptoms of gum disease (i.e. gums bleeding when brushing) at age 18. Got advice to buy some floss and learn how to use it- the bleeding ceased fairly quickly with regular flossing and has stayed away for decades.

So for early gum disease/bleeding I always suggest starting to floss.

---------- Post added 02-01-2014 at 12:37 ----------

Dentists don't do teeth cleaning any more, even private ones.

They do- every time I get a checkup the dentist does a clean (scale and polish)

---------- Post added 02-01-2014 at 12:37 ----------

Trouble is, Gum disease is a difficult problem and rest assured - never cured!

I seem to have cured mine (with flossing)- see above

Archived