Job Interview this week

I recently put my CV on line and a recruitment agency telephoned me and said they would like to put me forward for a job. I sent a covering letter and was invited to an interview.

A day later I was asked to do an online test which was fair enough, I did the test. Although it wasn't mentioned in the job spec, or any of the things in the test mentioned either as skills needed.

When I met up with the lady from the agency, she indicated there was an internal applicant, and if they got it, their job would be back filled.

I now feel like Ive been used to fulfill a legal requirement of advertising a job externally, and the internal applicant has been earmarked for the job anyway.

I recently put my CV on line and a recruitment agency telephoned me and said they would like to put me forward for a job. I sent a covering letter and was invited to an interview.

A day later I was asked to do an online test which was fair enough, I did the test. Although it wasn't mentioned in the job spec, or any of the things in the test mentioned either as skills needed.

When I met up with the lady from the agency, she indicated there was an internal applicant, and if they got it, their job would be back filled.

I now feel like Ive been used to fulfill a legal requirement of advertising a job externally, and the internal applicant has been earmarked for the job anyway.

Back in the 1980s I applied for a job and did well in the interview but, although my qualifications and experience were more than enough, I didn't get the job. About a week later I was sat on the bus and overheard two elderly women sat in front one me. One was telling the other how happy she was because her granddaughter had got a job at XYZ organisation doing such and such, which happened to be the job I applied for, because she had left school with no qualifications but she got the job because she knew the manager who interviewed her.

That's what happens, you'd better get used to it. Unless you have proof there's sod all you can do about it.

I would not feel used. Its frustrating but not unusual. Companies will always shove vacanies out there see what candidates they get and give it to an internal candidate if they are good enough.

Its a way of getting a reserve candidate in place if the internal one is no good.

Just treat every interview as good experience and keep at it. Something will come along in the end. Believe me, the agency will be just as disappointed about it as you.

The woman from the agency is a personal friend of the person interviewing, I don't think she realised how much she said to me. I'm fortunate enough to not be desperate for a job at the moment so can take my time looking. I'm still annoyed even though I know it happens.

Archived