Colorado makes peace with cannabis.

The people of Colorado have supported the signing into law of new legislation design to govern the production, sale and consumption of herbal cannabis.

Colorado's governor signed six marijuana regulatory bills into law Tuesday while the state awaits a federal response to recreational pot legalization. The new laws seek to regulate the newly legal drug and keep it away from children, without being so strict that weed stays in the black market. Some highlights from Colorado's new green laws:

YOU CAN COME BUY IT, BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE IT HOME

THE POT BUSINESS ISN'T OPEN FOR BUSINESS, YET

THE CAMERAS BETTER BE ROLLING WHEN YOU GROW IT

NOT EVERY TOWN WILL SELL IT

MARIJUANA CLUBS AREN'T SAFE

KIDS GET NEW PROTECTIONS

DON'T SMOKE AND DRIVE

More here - http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021074912_apuslegalizingmarijuanaglance.html

It's still against federal law, we shall see how it goes... nice to see our cousins sailing in the right direction here and there.

I started a thread yesterday about supporting our local farmers but it was removed. Colorado seems to be a much more forward thinking place.

We need to start looking at how to manage and regulate the cannabis trade, and use some of the profits it generates for the common good. The more trade in South Yorkshire the better, it provides much needed jobs and economic activity.

Legal tobacco and alcohol cause personal and socia; problems.

Governments aretrying to reduce usage by controlling advertising, etc.

Is it wise to add another to the "legal" list?

I know it's anecdotal, but I have seen some apparently fine young people deteriorate after use of alcohol and/or cannabis, and of course, the respiratory wrecks from heavy smoking.

BTW, don't fear lung cancer; everybody feels sorry for you, and you are soon dead. Fear emphysema, which plays cat-and-mouse for ten years or more before a miserable end.

Never understood this daft argument.

A and B are legal.

A and B cause harm.

Thus C should be illegal.

Silly.

For a place full of crazy gun nuts and hillbillies they do make some interesting choices.

It's a good way to get a bunch of people into work, lots of new shops/cafe's will open and anyone with a loft space can grow the stuff so you'll have alot of individuals cultivating it at home.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there- legal tobacco and alcohol do cause personal and social problems (and health ones too, of course).

However, the harm caused by legal tobacco and alcohol, is far, far less than the harm caused by illegal (prohibited) alcohol and tobacco.

Prohibited alocohol and tobacco, being unregulated, tend to be cut with toxins ('moonshine') and are manufactured/distributed by criminals, with all the extra harm that goes along with that.

See recent documentaries on smuggled, unregulated tobacco and the attendant health issues, and, look into what happened to alcohol during American prohibition.

If you want to reduce the harms of cannabis, legislation is obviously the way forward. Washington State is also poised to follow Colorado.

What remains to be seen is how the federal government will react - these are not "medical marijuana" laws, they relate purely to recreational use.

I think cannabis legalisation will happen within my lifetime. I'm not sure of the forum demographics but I would say that most people on here up to the age of 40 would have an idea of where they could source it if they wanted it.

I myself have never smoked it so to me I wouldn't care if it was legalised or not.

People want to be inebriated, whether through illegal drugs, legal highs or alcohol.

I know it's anecdotal, but I have seen some apparently fine young people deteriorate after use of alcohol and/or cannabis, and of course, the respiratory wrecks from heavy smoking.

BTW, don't fear lung cancer; everybody feels sorry for you, and you are soon dead. Fear emphysema, which plays cat-and-mouse for ten years or more before a miserable end.[/QUOTE]

My Bold

Smoking cannabis is only one way of taking it, you dont have to smoke it. So your argument does not stand up.

Archived