Stannington in the 80s

When I was a child I used to get off the number 88 bus at Roscoe bank to visit grandparents.

I remember the fields above there.

They was no Liberty estate or high rise flats.....very little of modern day housing until you reached the Sportsman.....and entered Stannington.

I guess the folks of Stannington rightly feel it wrong to name anything below the sportsman Stannington.

The sign that signals the start of Stannington hasn't changed either - it's quite large and is outside the Sportsman pub where Stannington Road branches to the right and Oldfield Road to the left.

Below the Sportsman pub are the areas of Deer Park, Roscoe Bank, Woodlands and then Malin Bridge as you progress down the hill.

It really is quite simple for most of us:)

Its always been a big thing between those who live after the sign for Stannington, and those who live below the sign in Deer Park, Roscoe Bank, Woodlands and Malin Bridge.

I have never known it to be a big thing. I have lived in the village and lower down and always classed it as stannington. What's the issue? It's all S6 does it matter where we live?

I have never known it to be a big thing. I have lived in the village and lower down and always classed it as stannington. What's the issue? It's all S6 does it matter where we live?

Owls6 completely agree. That whole area has always been called Stannington. However there are few 10 bob millionaires with a stick up their arse that always jump on threads like this.

I had a mate on Spoonhill, Stephen Lowe, that I've not heard of in many years. I also remember the house around there that sold tropical fish. He had a large building in his garden and had quite the selection as I remember.

Owls6 completely agree. That whole area has always been called Stannington. However there are few 10 bob millionaires with a stick up their arse that always jump on threads like this.

I had a mate on Spoonhill, Stephen Lowe, that I've not heard of in many years. I also remember the house around there that sold tropical fish. He had a large building in his garden and had quite the selection as I remember.

They probably jump on threads like this to correct idiots writing incorrect facts!

Archived