Dawn chorus not heard a full blown one yet.

I've not heard a full blown Dawn chorus yet this year I've heard them in dribs and drabs only ! anyone else noticed this ?

Aye. Woke up for a piddle at 4am on Tuesday morning and it sounded like they were gearing up for a reet old sing song. Made a brew, opened the window, sat there to listen but it fizzled out. The sods went back to bed and left me sitting up at 4am like an idiot.

Aye. Woke up for a piddle at 4am on Tuesday morning and it sounded like they were gearing up for a reet old sing song. Made a brew, opened the window, sat there to listen but it fizzled out. The sods went back to bed and left me sitting up at 4am like an idiot.

I've been up around that kind of time on a couple of occasions recently. Made tea, sat out on the doorstep with a fag and it's never really seemed to take off in the way I've hoped.

We live near a large wood and have a lot of neighbours with bird friendly gardens and feeders, but I can't help but fear that the crappy weather last year and the late spring this year have taken a toll.

Then there's the magpies - they've been harrassing the blackbirds which nest in the honeysuckle, but so far haven't raided the nest. Cats too.

• 7 months later...

I think its a bit early in the year for a full dawn chorus would have thought it was nearer March time however robins which breed much earlier in the year than other birds are in full voice a couple of robins were singing their hearts out in the pitch black the other evening

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 19:56 ----------

I thought the full dawn chorus started around about March time however Robins which breed much earlier than other birds are in full voice already There were a couple of robins in full voice in the pitch black at about 6 30 the other evening outside our house

I also heard some birds the other morning at about 3.30 - 4ish when I got up for a pee. Thought at the time it was a bit strange!

Made me crave the warm summer evenings listening to the birds in the garden! Sadly the worst of the winter weather is probably yet to come :(

Archived