Lee Rigby's regiment tells EDL where to go.

I was going to post this on the Help for Heroes thread but that seems to have gone way off topic.

It is also worth starting a new thread as there are a disturbing number of posters on this forum who seem to be sympathetic to the EDL.

Anyway, this statement has just been released by the Fusiliers Association and gives the lie to the EDL claim that they are supported by Lee's comrades.

"Corps Cols take steps to warn their Regimental Associations that Far-Right, extremist organisations (English Defence League in particular) will seize any opportunity to align veterans with their cause. Veterans should be strongly discouraged from wearing regimental headdress or accoutrements if they are attending events organised or affiliated with extremist organisations."

I'd say that makes things pretty clear.

I was going to post this on the Help for Heroes thread but that seems to have gone way off topic.

It is also worth starting a new thread as there are a disturbing number of posters on this forum who seem to be sympathetic to the EDL.

Anyway, this statement has just been released by the Fusiliers Association and gives the lie to the EDL claim that they are supported by Lee's comrades.

"Corps Cols take steps to warn their Regimental Associations that Far-Right, extremist organisations (English Defence League in particular) will seize any opportunity to align veterans with their cause. Veterans should be strongly discouraged from wearing regimental headdress or accoutrements if they are attending events organised or affiliated with extremist organisations."

I'd say that makes things pretty clear.

The fusiliers association is the veterans branch of the fusiliers i.e ex fusiliers so I doubt they could be classed as Lee Rigbys comrades so,and I dont know if the claim is true,the EDL could be telling the truth

The fusiliers association is the veterans branch of the fusiliers i.e ex fusiliers so I doubt they could be classed as Lee Rigbys comrades so,and I dont know if the claim is true,the EDL could be telling the truth

Apart from the fact that the EDL are not known for telling the truth, I can't see there being a massive difference between serving and ex-fusiliers on this matter.

Soldiers may not like the EDL. Even if a couple go it makes you a liar though.

Lets have a look how they voted on this poll (from the british soldiers forum)...

The killing of the Soldier in London is....

an isolated case not connected to the faith or ethnical background of the murderer........6.90%

it is an outstanding case but purely criminal one. There is no politics here at all.... 11.33%

a result of serious mistakes in the immigration policy.....15.76%

a consequence of multiculturalism concept....... 60.10%

a result of the fact that the newcomers are real masters in the UK........5.91%

Interesting.

Source (warning some strong language)

http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/199228-killing-soldier-london.html

RHQ/RRF/1363 30 May 2013

A number of retired soldiers are evidently being approached and have agreed to take part in demonstrations connected to the death of Fusilier Lee Rigby. I want to make absolutely clear the Regiment's view on this. The hackle and the Regiment is not to be associated with any organisations which seek to exploit the death of one of our Regimental family for a range of self-serving and unhelpful reasons. It is wrong and disgraceful that the death of one of our oven should be exploited in this manner and that dishonour, by wrongful association, is brought onto the Regiment. We are to remain dignified with our heads held high and respect Fusilier Rigby in the way we have all our dead; with honour and pride. We will pay our respects in the correct manner and remember him as a band of brothers. Anger and revenge are understandable emotions but they achieve nothing other than fostering hatred. We are not to be moved from what we know is the right path.

You should be aware that the 1st Battalion has held an evening vigil in Helmand attended by over 800 Fusiliers and Allied troops. The 2nd Battalion will hold a memorial service in Cyprus shortly. Our Regimental Associations across the country have organised, in conjunction with Mayors and Councils and the police, Fusilier family commemoration events, honouring Fus Lee Rigby. In London, serving Fusiliers and soldiers from other Regiments, cadets and the police have held numerous ceremonies to pay respects quietly and with dignity, I am sure the same is happening across the country. This is how the Fusiliers do business and hove we will continue to conduct ourselves.

We must also remember Fusilier Rigby's family who I know support all I have said. Do not allow the death of Fusilier Rigby to be exploited and his and their name used improperly and without the respect they are entitled to and have earned.

Details of Fusilier Lee Rigby's funeral will be promulgated as soon as they are known.

I R Liles

Brigadier (Retd)

Regimental Secretary

They are 'heroes' so why are they chickening out of their proud uniform because of one incident?

There’s nothing chicken about taking the sensible policy of not wearing a uniform whilst out in public, especially when there are nutters carrying machetes and happy to plough you over with their car.

There’s nothing chicken about taking the sensible policy of not wearing a uniform whilst out in public, especially when there are nutters carrying machetes and happy to plough you over with their car.

about time you said someat sensible lol

Soldiers may not like the EDL. Even if a couple go it makes you a liar though.

Lets have a look how they voted on this poll (from the british soldiers forum)...

The killing of the Soldier in London is....

an isolated case not connected to the faith or ethnical background of the murderer........6.90%

it is an outstanding case but purely criminal one. There is no politics here at all.... 11.33%

a result of serious mistakes in the immigration policy.....15.76%

a consequence of multiculturalism concept....... 60.10%

a result of the fact that the newcomers are real masters in the UK........5.91%

Interesting.

Source (warning some strong language)

http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/199228-killing-soldier-london.html

The only thing which is 'interesting' is the heavily skewed construction of the poll statements! Talk about putting words into people's mouths.

Apart from that, the poll does not allow for participants to offer a different interpretation of the act, or to express the view that it was 'more than one of the above'.

All in all, a flawed poll with a miniscule sample - disregard.

Archived