Urgent help needed re Bailiffs

Maybe so, Shogun, but it seems he still owes the original parking fine? I think the council should accept the £90 and stick on £100 for costs. Job done, honour satisfied. No need for Marstons at all. imo.

Given that it looks like the OP's partner has not responded to umpteen letters about the fine then how do you suggest the council go about recovering the money? Not having a go at anyone ..it's a genuine question..

Maybe so, Shogun, but it seems he still owes the original parking fine? I think the council should accept the £90 and stick on £100 for costs. Job done, honour satisfied. No need for Marstons at all. imo.

In a perfect world we would not go in bus lanes and get fined in the first place and they should have payed it when they first got the ticket.and the council should not pass it on to scumbags like that,but it has happened and they are now having to deal with these horrible money grabbing people.

Apparently they are proper Bailiffs :(

They can't be 'proper bailiffs' because there are strict laws on what they can and can't do and how much money they can make in charges.

They can't add on charges more than the initial debt!

If the initial debt is 95 quid then 500 in charges is against the law.

Given that it looks like the OP's partner has not responded to umpteen letters about the fine then how do you suggest the council go about recovering the money? Not having a go at anyone ..it's a genuine question..

Thats up to council, if the op have offered them money what more can they do the dept will either go back to the council or be passed on to another bunch of parasites who will try their luck.the council should accept money from them but they are very busy and it is just so easy to just pass it on and forget it.if the the dept company have actually payed for the debt from the council it is no longer the council's debt.they do a lot of that selling depts off it makes the council's books look good.if Marstons are actually acting for the council as their debt collectors they will pursue the dept till they either get some money or return it back to the council as they can not get money out of you.that is why they want the full lot they think they will get what the council want and anything on top is theirs.

I think the council should accept the £90 and stick on £100 for costs. Job done, honour satisfied. No need for Marstons at all. imo.

And from then on, everybody would just ignore parking tickets, council tax or whatever, hoping that it will go away but knowing that if they are eventually caught they will only have to pay the fine and a fixed fee.

We are all agreed that most debt collectors or bailiffs are low lives but the only reason they are involved in this case is because the fine wasn't paid and all attempts to resolve the matter were ignored for over a year. If you ignore a dozen or so letters that say 'Sort this out now or further measures will taken which will escalate the cost' you can't really complain when that happens. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I'm of the opinion that the OP/ her partner has taken no responsibility or any care over this offence. Not responding to many letters and not keeping the evidence the fine has been paid, has led them to this situation. They need to fess up and pay the fine and fees.

I have literally Just got off the phone to Kevin Butt who has managed to speak to the company and get the bill reduced to £198 which is much more reasonable, however, when I was given the breakdown from events from Mr Butt they did not add up.

I was told that they had attended my property on the 29th and 30th May which is not true as I have letter stating attendance on the 30th and 32st.

Also according to Mr Butt the total amount owing was NEVER above £400, why then do I have a final notice for over £600?

Also, I was told that they do carry video cameras in there clothing and are meant to tell the person they are being filmed, this did not happen in my case so it seems they have broken their own policy.

Mr Butt seems very keen for me to let the matter drop and not raise a complaint and it was almost like he was a bit miffed off because he had done me a favour by getting the charges reduced. I can understand his point of view but I am only 5 feet 4 inches tall and weigh approximately 8 and half stone, I was having to open the door to a monster of a guy who was quite threatening and intimidating and now I would like to know how I can make a complaint against him, the company are refusing to send me their complaints procedure so I am a little stuck :help:

And from then on, everybody would just ignore parking tickets, council tax or whatever, hoping that it will go away but knowing that if they are eventually caught they will only have to pay the fine and a fixed fee.

We are all agreed that most debt collectors or bailiffs are low lives but the only reason they are involved in this case is because the fine wasn't paid and all attempts to resolve the matter were ignored for over a year. If you ignore a dozen or so letters that say 'Sort this out now or further measures will taken which will escalate the cost' you can't really complain when that happens. :rolleyes:

I think you opinions are absolutely the opposite as to what most people think.nobody wants to pay anything for fines and definitely not to any scumbag debt collectors.I can live with people being pursued for owing the rates and things they should pay, but for bus lane and parking fines no stuff um they they are nothing but bandits I would give them a runabout for their money as well.

I think you opinions are absolutely the opposite as to what most people think.nobody wants to pay anything for fines and definitely not to any scumbag debt collectors.I can live with people being pursued for owing the rates and things they should pay, but for bus lane and parking fines no stuff um they they are nothing but bandits I would give them a runabout for their money as well.

So instead of paying £30 you'd end up paying almost £200 as the OP is having to do.? Cutting your nose off to spite your face I think..

I have literally Just got off the phone to Kevin Butt who has managed to speak to the company and get the bill reduced to £198 which is much more reasonable, however, when I was given the breakdown from events from Mr Butt they did not add up.

I was told that they had attended my property on the 29th and 30th May which is not true as I have letter stating attendance on the 30th and 32st.

Also according to Mr Butt the total amount owing was NEVER above £400, why then do I have a final notice for over £600?

Also, I was told that they do carry video cameras in there clothing and are meant to tell the person they are being filmed, this did not happen in my case so it seems they have broken their own policy.

Mr Butt seems very keen for me to let the matter drop and not raise a complaint and it was almost like he was a bit miffed off because he had done me a favour by getting the charges reduced. I can understand his point of view but I am only 5 feet 4 inches tall and weigh approximately 8 and half stone, I was having to open the door to a monster of a guy who was quite threatening and intimidating and now I would like to know how I can make a complaint against him, the company are refusing to send me their complaints procedure so I am a little stuck :help:[/QUOT

Offer them £100 and tell them thats it take or leave it.

---------- Post added 04-06-2013 at 11:33 ----------

So instead of paying £30 you'd end up paying almost £200 as the OP is having to do.? Cutting your nose off to spite your face I think..

They would be more chance of hell freezing over than me giving them a penny...

Archived