Sheffields Lost Sports Fields!!

There has been threads about lost school sports fields in Sheffield before,the ones I,m thinking about are the ones provided by a lot of the workplaces for employees.In the area I was brought up in Owlerton there were quite a few in the 40s onwards,behind the dog track was a football pitch hired by a firm I,ve forgotten which.Across Liversey St opposite were another two football pitches and further down the same piece of land was a beautifully maintained cricket ground complete with pavilion belonging to Daniel Doncasters.On Neepsend Power Stations land behind our house there was a well kept football pitch going down to the River Don plus two tennis courts including a large pavilion with baths in the changing rooms.As a kid I remember watching a game one evening when someone kicked the ball into the river which the player had to swim to retrieve it!.Sadly they have all gone now in the name of progress,built on or neglected,just in that area it has changed from a loverly environment to a depressing dump such a shame!:confused::help::loopy:

I remember the pitches at the back of the dog track as that was where Sheffield Wednesday trained and where there Yorkshire League and Hatchard League teams played there home fixtures in the 1950's, in the summer of 1955 I was down there watching my hero's and Albert Quixall used to ride back to Hillsborough on my pushbike leaving it outside the players entrance for me to collect there, I was only too happy to walk back talking to any player who would listen to me and most of them did in those days, happy days

Archived