First dementia sufferer to go for assisted suicide

I wondered when this was going to crop up, and from a purely selfish point of view I'm glad it has. Well respected organisations like the alzhiemers society havent really said its a good thing, deciding, rightly that providing good quality care should be pursued first. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22715363

Care can only go so far and unless their is someone to keep tabs on the carers, who can tell the carers what the person was like before this illness it's easy to get lost in the system. This gives people an option.

I am in favour. I really fear getting it or any other dementia. Bit I wouldn't be able to go to Dignitas, so I am hoping that eventually the law will be changed here. (if only the religious bodies would keep their noses out)

I am in favour. I really fear getting it or any other dementia. Bit I wouldn't be able to go to Dignitas, so I am hoping that eventually the law will be changed here. (if only the religious bodies would keep their noses out)

I was asked to go with someone when they thought the time was right after a lengthy conversation I said I would so at least they would have someone there with them who they knew.It`s a shame that the uk is so backward in is care of the terminally ill ..............x

---------- Post added 31-05-2013 at 17:06 ----------

:clap::clap::clap:

It should be possible to end your own life with dignity and so the sooner they bring it in to this country the better as far as I'm concerned. At the moment the Swiss option also involves you having the money to make the trip so it's only for those with cash which rules me out. I don't believe it is religious groups sounding off it's politicians who love the sound of their own voices and who like to chuck red herrings into any discussion or debate by insinuating that people would be forced to die without their consent or it'll be rolled out so all disabled folk will be targeted.

I can't help thinking that the man concerned might have had a few more pleasant years ahead of him before the dementia took real hold, (he was in the early stages) or knew what form the dementia would take.

Of course by that time he would probably have been unable to make his own decisions and therefore unable to end his own life.

It's a dilemma I don't know the answer for, but I think some form of living will would help.

No chance.

They cant help themselves

I wouldnt mind but religion seems to be all about telling people what to do whislt at the same time noncing kids. :loopy:

I can't help thinking that the man concerned might have had a few more pleasant years ahead of him before the dementia took real hold, (he was in the early stages) or knew what form the dementia would take.

Of course by that time he would probably have been unable to make his own decisions and therefore unable to end his own life.

It's a dilemma I don't know the answer for, but I think some form of living will would help.

Living will wouldn't help in this case Anna. You need your faculties and you need, from what I've seen anyway, to be able to make the decision to pick up a cup full of drugs and swallow them and know it will kill you. A bad infection or two and maybe an operation where you need general anesthetic and you can sadly be a long way down the road and unable to make such a decision and it can happen in a frighteningly short space of time.

What a sad discussion, my mother died while suffering for this, and it wasn't nice, I HAVE to believe this is gods way of helping those that are scared of dying, though the GATES, but it's those that are left behind that PAY.

I'm 62 and I forget things at times, sometimes wobble a bit without having a drink, Scared in truth that I might be in the early stages (another thing - typing words back to front -sda instead of sad) I would want to be put out of my pain (mental pain is as bad, if not worse than physical pain)

Ironic isn't it, those that can afford it can travel at get it done, those that are a bit short of money can't, yet the argument against it being made legal really stems from fear that you may be legally murdered by your relatives - ---For what, I aint got nowt.

What a sad discussion, my mother died while suffering for this, and it wasn't nice, I HAVE to believe this is gods way of helping those that are scared of dying, though the GATES, but it's those that are left behind that PAY.

I'm 62 and I forget things at times, sometimes wobble a bit without having a drink, Scared in truth that I might be in the early stages (another thing - typing words back to front -sda instead of sad) I would want to be put out of my pain (mental pain is as bad, if not worse than physical pain)

Ironic isn't it, those that can afford it can travel at get it done, those that are a bit short of money can't, yet the argument against it being made legal really stems from fear that you may be legally murdered by your relatives - ---For what, I aint got nowt.

So sorry about your mum, whenever it happened, this is a very emotive subject here, when someone feels that for the better of them they wish they could die. As you say some are wealthy enough to go to Dignitas and have it done legally, while in this country you run the risk of leaving a loved one facing possible murder charges (though never been done as far as I know).

People have no quality of life, I know what it feels like to be like this and have often said I wish I could get it, I still have my marbles I think, but have a very limited and I mean limited tolerance to what I can do.

I tire within minutes and struggle for breath after walking a few yards, if I could get it yes I'd take it.

I could not commit suicide and lots of people cannot, but they would like to know that there is something over here like in Switzerland that could help them leave in a dignified way, and have their loved ones there.

Archived