Who should teach todays kids manners.

When I was a lass on a bus, if an elderly or infirm person could not get a seat, I would automatically stand for that person. As I grew up and had my own children, they would automatically give up their seat for an elderly person. Majority of todays kids don't do that do they? I recently was travelling on the tram from Hillsbrough and five lads about 12 years old were occupying seats whilst several elderly people (myself included) were standing. Two of the lads were in the seats that are supposedly there for the elderly and infirm. Are they not taught good manners and respect these days?

Surely they should be taught manners by their parents. I would be ashamed if they belonged to me or my family. Rant over!

Its probably not "cool" to give up a seat. I think some parents do teach their kids manners but its probably a combination of factors that may kids act the way they do these days. I think most teenagers put a fake front on in front of kids.

Its probably not "cool" to give up a seat. I think some parents do teach their kids manners but its probably a combination of factors that may kids act the way they do these days. I think most teenagers put a fake front on in front of kids.

It doesn't appear 'cool' for youngsters to go upstairs on double deckers either. :o Some of the youngsters I see prefer to loll in the seats designed for the less agile. I wonder if they can't read the notices.

I suspect I'm of a similar age to floater, I wouldn't have dreamed of staying seated if an older person was standing. My mother would have put me on her knee, just as I did with my children to make room for other adults to sit down, but often that doesn't happen either.

I think manners and appropriate behaviour are learnt in the home, by example. Sadly, so is rudeness and selfishness.

Maybe the kids have the same dilemma that I sometimes have when I use a bus. Would the person that you are about to offer a seat to be offended? Someone that you may think of as being 70 may actually only be 50.

Sometimes it's obvious - other times, less so. I've offered my seat on more than one occasion and got such a dark stares that I wished I hadn't bothered. Other times the person is really grateful which makes it all worthwhile.

Maybe the kids have the same dilemma that I sometimes have when I use a bus. Would the person that you are about to offer a seat to be offended? Someone that you may think of as being 70 may actually only be 50.

Sometimes it's obvious - other times, less so. I've offered my seat on more than one occasion and got such a dark stares that I wished I hadn't bothered. Other times the person is really grateful which makes it all worthwhile.

My wrinkles show my 70years!! I was not offered a seat by any person.

Nor was the gentleman standing beside me, who was obviously not well at all.

Definitely the parents because I've seen them with the kids and not even urge them to be polite and give up their seats. Unfortunately many parents can't be bothered to teach their kids manners these days.

It's all about "street cred" these days.

Parents may well instill good manners when they are with them, but once out with their mates .......

It's a different world now to the one we were brought up in.

Archived