Is Turkey heading towards becoming an Islamic state?

There is no Turkish bit in Cyprus . The area you refer to is under a non legal occupation by a member of NATO.

Depends if you're referring to Cyprus the country or Cyprus the island.

I think it's quite clear that the poster meant the island, but since you also think the Moor is at the 'rear' end of the city centre we should make allowances when it comes to your use of common sense.

You are opening a box of frogs there mate,I spent a lot of time in Cyprus and I do know a lot about the history of the place.the island was a part of the ottoman empire a long time before we started interfering.

I must have got it wrong then.

---------- Post added 03-06-2013 at 23:34 ----------

Depends if you're referring to Cyprus the country or Cyprus the island.

I think it's quite clear that the poster meant the island, but since you also think the Moor is at the 'rear' end of the city centre we should make allowances when it comes to your use of common sense.

Common sense tells me to answer posts without getting personal.

You are opening a box of frogs there mate,I spent a lot of time in Cyprus and I do know a lot about the history of the place.the island was a part of the ottoman empire a long time before we started interfering.

The cypriots didn't seem to like it though. So maybe the turks need to do one?

The island has a long and turbulent history.but it was a Turkish island for over three centuries.

Well that goes for almost all Countries who have been occupied at one time or another inc,Great Britain .We have had the Romans[italians] French, Germans[still have Royal Family] Vikings etc, etc.

What counts is who are now the FREELY elected Government and not one that is classed as an invader.

Working on the assumptions of "relative levels of secularism" I wonder what country/nation is really secular (devoid of religion from state) that is.
Several countries on the Continent are, France first among them. Secularism there is statutory since 1905.

That said, as with all absolutes, there is always an exception (:D). It is minor though, to the extent that you really can't talk about "degrees of secularism" or "levels of secularism", because it is geographically very limited, and exists out of historical reasons that have nothing to do with religion as such: effectively, it's accidental 'legal baggage' inherited by the French State at the end of WW1 when Alsace-Moselle was recovered from Germany (the French 1905 secular law did not apply there at the time, since that part of France was annexed in 1870 and the Germans had left the Concordat in place since then).

An interesting fact about it, is that it considers most main religions equal to one another:

<...>Alsace-Moselle is still governed by a pre-1905 law established by the Concordat of 1801 which provides for the public subsidy of the Roman Catholic Church, the Lutheran Church, the Calvinist Protestant Reformed Church of Alsace and Lorraine and the Jewish religion <...> The clergy for these religions are paid for by the state.
Fancy that: catholic priests, lutherian pastors and jewish rabbi, all considered civil servants and paid the same wage by the French state :o:D

There have been advanced talks of integrating Islam to the list (the Concordat allows it) and an MP last tabled a corresponding statutory project to the National Assembly in 2006. The local catholic, protestant and jewish powers-that-be would be happy with that (as it will help them maintain this local 'exception'). In the meantime, the Muslim community has benefitted from public subsidies in Strasbourg.

Most French people you'd talk to, don't even know about all that!

Well that goes for almost all Countries who have been occupied at one time or another inc,Great Britain .We have had the Romans[italians] French, Germans[still have Royal Family] Vikings etc, etc.

What counts is who are now the FREELY elected Government and not one that is classed as an invader.

The Turks don't think they are invaders.they think they are getting back what is rightly theirs in the first place,I think it all depends whose side you are on.but the present state of the island is all due to our interference in the past.

That is a value judgement and itself is not evidence of anything other than your opinion. Chatham House may have evidence to support your assertion, but you haven't produced any of it for this discussion, you've merely reiterated what you think their conclusions are.

Its not my opinion its EVERYONE'S opinion who has any credibility. Its not black and white but Turkey IS secular. As L00b has pointed out, France is secular but their religious leaders are considered civil servants.

I have provided experts to back up my claims. In the same way if I was talking about quantum mechanics I would quote experts in the field.

As L00b has pointed out, France is secular but their religious leaders are considered civil servants.
Only in Alsace-Moselle.

Anywhere else in France, religious leaders/people/etc. are not considered civil servants at all, nor paid nor subsidised by the state in any way or form.

The Turks don't think they are invaders.they think they are getting back what is rightly theirs in the first place

They were also responding to a coup set up by Greek nationalists in Cyprus.

The age old problem of politics rolling along. Which came first, the Greek nationalist or the Turkish nationalist?

Archived