Is Turkey heading towards becoming an Islamic state?

The Turks don't think they are invaders.they think they are getting back what is rightly theirs in the first place,I think it all depends whose side you are on.but the present state of the island is all due to our interference in the past.

Perhaps we should take back America or Australia.

Any one up for an invasion.

The Queen is head of both the UK state and the Anglican Church but that doesn't mean the UK is a theocracy. Turkey is secular and so is the UK.

Is the UK secular? Why do we have Bishops in the House of Lords just because they are Bishops..? Genuine question.......

Is the UK secular? Why do we have Bishops in the House of Lords just because they are Bishops..? Genuine question.......

The UK is not secular.

---------- Post added 04-06-2013 at 16:10 ----------

Only in Alsace-Moselle.

Anywhere else in France, religious leaders/people/etc. are not considered civil servants at all, nor paid nor subsidised by the state in any way or form.

That's kinda my point. Its not black and white, but Turkey is considered a secular state, albeit a complex one.

The UK is not secular.

---------- Post added 04-06-2013 at 16:10 ----------

That's kinda my point. Its not black and white, but Turkey is considered a secular state, albeit a complex one.

both the UK and Turkey are secular in overall character but the present Turkish government at the moment is certainly less secular than not only the UK, but also previous Turkish governments - unless you would want to argue that the Tory party is still the 'Church of England at prayer' which surely very few people would these days. The Justice and Development Party headed by Erdogan that has been governing the country for over a decade has its roots in Islamist groups like the 'Virtue Party' which was banned for violating Turkey's secular constitution.

No. We have religious freedom but are not secular. The state and the church are very much one.

Don't you mean the church and monarchy. The state is totally independent of religion and we have MPs from numerous religions in Westminster.

Don't you mean the church and monarchy.

No. If I meant that I'd've written it.

We're not secular. Church, law and state combine in one person - Lizzie II. We have unelected Bishops in the House of Lords. The Act of Settlement actively stops Catholicism and forces the monarch to be a Protestant.

We are not secular. We have no written constitution protecting religious freedom. That power comes to us from European law.

Archived