Why isn't there many human beings working in our station?

I should be able to buy these tickets from a person at a counter. I shouldn't have to use a machine. I refuse to use them..

So you refuse to use one machine that issues tickets and is convenient?

Why then catch another machine called a train for it's convenience. Is walking not good enough for you?

Or is this purely a synthetic argument just to have a moan?

I never buy tickets online for local journeys, I always pay cash. I might change my mind and wish to travel on a different day. I was also staying at a property without a PC.

I should be able to buy these tickets from a person at a counter. I shouldn't have to use a machine. I refuse to use them.

The station should ensure that people can buy a ticket from a member of staff and that they can do so in a reasonable time.

To be fair, it should be required by law. What's the point of having High Speed 2 to improve journey times, when you have to queue for 20 minutes or so to buy a bloody ticket.

Instead of HS2, we could make the same improvement to journey times by taking on a member of staff at a cost of under £20k per year.

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 11:43 ----------

I don't use them machines, they all want smashing up with a sledgehammer. Same with the ones in the supermarket. I'd pay on board the train if they offered off peak fares, which they should do when their ticket offices are so understaffed.

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 11:44 ----------

I don't use them machines on principle.

dont on on your pc `yes a pc is a machine` crying then

Yesterday I was using the train station, and although I arrived 20 minutes before my train was due to leave, I missed my train. This was due to very very poor management of the station and a severe shortage of human beings employed at the station.

I queued for a ticket, at this point I still had 20 minutes, I was also second in the queue. There was a single member of staff selling tickets at the 'fair' price (if you buy on the train it is more expensive and you also risk getting into trouble for not boarding with a ticket).

How the hell are you supposed to board with a ticket, when they are incapable of selling you a ticket in the first place.

Why isn't there many human beings working in our station?

A city of over half a million people, and just one person employed to sell tickets.

Sheffield station is a disgrace, and the way it treats it's staff is a disgrace. Sheffield has plenty of unemployed people, and most of them want work. Sheffield station should be employing people to do a job that needs to be done. And until it employs people, then it should probably allow everyone in Sheffield to travel for free due to the sheer lack of staff on the counters selling tickets.

Nobody in Sheffield should have to queue so long for a ticket that they end up missing their train.

Perhaps you should spend more of your online time looking at the websites and less moaning on here about not understanding the procedures.

To be poorly staffed is not good but to travel on a train without a ticket is a civil or criminal offence.

Young people with a criminal record like this would find it much harder to get work.

It costs £6 60 to travel anywhere in South Yorkshire on all trains(after 9 30)/trams/buses.

Unlike most main stations Sheffield does not have barriers which would remind most people not to travel illegally.

It is a criminal offence if a passenger travels ticketless from a station where there is a ticket machine or ticket office working.

It is also a criminal offence to avoid paying on the train by ignoring the guard.

The most common way to get a criminal conviction is by misleading or lying to the ticket inspector. 'Misleading' includes making excuses, blaming some one etc

Often the revenue protection staff will invoke a civil offence or an out of court settlement for a first offence if there is a provable genuine reason.

I never buy tickets online for local journeys, I always pay cash. I might change my mind and wish to travel on a different day. I was also staying at a property without a PC.

I should be able to buy these tickets from a person at a counter. I shouldn't have to use a machine. I refuse to use them.

The station should ensure that people can buy a ticket from a member of staff and that they can do so in a reasonable time.

To be fair, it should be required by law. What's the point of having High Speed 2 to improve journey times, when you have to queue for 20 minutes or so to buy a bloody ticket.

Instead of HS2, we could make the same improvement to journey times by taking on a member of staff at a cost of under £20k per year.

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 11:43 ----------

I don't use them machines, they all want smashing up with a sledgehammer. Same with the ones in the supermarket. I'd pay on board the train if they offered off peak fares, which they should do when their ticket offices are so understaffed.

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 11:44 ----------

Quite agree Chemist, its like when you go to the supermarket and they say to you "would you like to use the fast lane and serve yourself".....i always tell them "no i wish to be served by someone", and on some occasions when i am that way inclined, i tell them "go and get some stock and i will fill the shelves up for you as well"......

Cutting your nose off to spite your face, clever :)

You can't complain if the station has provided provisions to get your ticket, if the queue is large at the counter. You only have yourself to grumble at for being so stubborn as to no use the machines provided. Whether you agree on principle or not, they are there to convenience you.

The problem with the face to face ticket sales is that people use them as an information point rather than just buying tickets. There is a separate information point (clue is in the name) should people need info. which would stop others been held up.

Saying that, you can buy in advance, or there is the machines. Personally, I prefer face to face and it is frustrating standing in a queue hearing somebody ask about connection times coming back from Rhyl a week on Tuesday. I have never seen only one person selling tickets mind.

Perhaps you should spend more of your online time looking at the websites and less moaning on here about not understanding the procedures.

What websites?

What procedures?

The simple procedure is, walk into station and approach ticket staff, say "ey up", purchase ticket, board train.

It is not my fault that the station is understaffed. The station needs to employ more people, and in Sheffield there are thousands upon thousands of people willing to work and wanting work.

The simple solution would be to employ more staff and improve the station and in turn customers journey times. The current service being offered is not fit for purpose. Or perhaps you think Sheffield might be better if staff are laid off and replaced with machines, and fares increased further above inflation.

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 15:14 ----------

Quite agree Chemist, its like when you go to the supermarket and they say to you "would you like to use the fast lane and serve yourself".....i always tell them "no i wish to be served by someone", and on some occasions when i am that way inclined, i tell them "go and get some stock and i will fill the shelves up for you as well"......

Aye, some of the supermarkets are now a complete joke.

I quite often dump my shopping and leave when forced to use machines. Supermarkets also need to change their practices.

Cutting your nose off to spite your face, clever :)

You can't complain if the station has provided provisions to get your ticket, if the queue is large at the counter. You only have yourself to grumble at for being so stubborn as to no use the machines provided. Whether you agree on principle or not, they are there to convenience you.

I agree with this. If you chose the long queue over 2 mins to use a self-serve machine when you've limited time then you cannot moan about it, it was your poor decision making that led to you missing the train.

As it happens I regularly travel via Sheffield station and there's always at least 2 people on the desks (usually 3 or 4 in my experience)

Question, sort of related, Have you/do you use ATMs?

Archived