I need help (depression)

This is going to sound cheesy / desperate and perhaps stupid, but hey, there we go.

I've got to a point in my life that I hate pretty much everyone and everything, this has stemmed from a long history of being abused, attacked and betrayed both psychically and mentally. I have been diagnosed with depression and have suffered with it for six years constantly; unfortunately the therapy and tablets are not doing anything.

Now, that's not to say my current situation is bad in regards to finances or well being; I live in a house I am renting, I eat well and frequently go out to restaurants. I also have a very good degree and have recently completed some well paying contracts which have allowed me to take a half a year off to clean my head up and fix myself.

However, I cannot do this alone, three months after and I'm still where I started; I have no real interests and crave companionship; I am just wasting my time each day sat staring at a wall thinking everything is hopeless, I need help but I don't know where to start.

Sure, the solution is rather obvious, go out and meet people and find new interests, right? The issue with this is that I do not know how to communicate with people, I have Asperger's Syndrome as well as no real experience in making friends.

Any ideas on a very screwed up mind?

I've felt the same (there are good people out there, despite the cr4p in the news), make an appointment with your doctor, or a bereavement counsellor?

Sure, the solution is rather obvious, go out and meet people and find new interests, right? The issue with this is that I do not know how to communicate with people, I have Asperger's Syndrome as well as no real experience in making friends.

I know that you have called yourself a "Asperger's Syndrome" sufferer, but dont let yourself use that label as an excuse. I have felt similar communication issues all my life, now 50 yrs old.

You get used to it, somethings do help, I tend to go online instead. So maybe good advice is to not go online too much.

This is going to sound cheesy / desperate and perhaps stupid, but hey, there we go.

I've got to a point in my life that I hate pretty much everyone and everything, this has stemmed from a long history of being abused, attacked and betrayed both psychically and mentally. I have been diagnosed with depression and have suffered with it for six years constantly; unfortunately the therapy and tablets are not doing anything.

Now, that's not to say my current situation is bad in regards to finances or well being; I live in a house I am renting, I eat well and frequently go out to restaurants. I also have a very good degree and have recently completed some well paying contracts which have allowed me to take a half a year off to clean my head up and fix myself.

However, I cannot do this alone, three months after and I'm still where I started; I have no real interests and crave companionship; I am just wasting my time each day sat staring at a wall thinking everything is hopeless, I need help but I don't know where to start.

Been in your exact position and i came through the other side.

Its doable and totally within your control.

You just have to realise or be shown that.

If you ever want to chat, pm me any time :)

One thing you could try to give you an interest is tracing your family history.

It is absorbing, much can be done on line but it will also lead you into communicating with others who can help and also motivate you to go out to visit local studies libraries and archives.

It can also lead to visiting other towns.

All the people I met whilst doing mine were very helpful and considerate.

I have recently found that 'In Bloom' groups can be good, or maybe a 'friends of group'?

I run a group at my local train station, a good excuse to plant flowers and travel on trains in the area.

Hi Banyer

I realise that you are an adult, but I came across this book recently which is aimed at 11-17 year olds. "The Asperkids (Secret) Book of Social Rules" by Jennifer O'Toole. It is really helping a young friend of mine and may contain some tips for you to feel more confident in social situations.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thank you for your suggestions and support, I tried going to Mind and found myself going back there every week just to talk and have a coffee and joined a club there which is pretty cool.

I also checked in with the National Autistic Society and joined their monthly Aspbergers meeting where... nobody turned up apart from the organizer! It was nice to talk for an hour but I was really hoping to meet others with Aspbergers.

The tablets surprisingly started working a few weeks ago; for the first time in years I have actually felt genuine happiness and am able to look at depression as a very valuable learning experience which taught me the importance of enjoying life.

Granted, I still get low times but they are becoming less frequent, I tend to find going out for a run before doing something mentally challenging does the trick.

Doing some research into clinical depression was very useful; the book "Depressive illness-curse of the strong" gave me some amazing insights into understanding how depression works and how to combat it.

I'm still very lonely but I'll try to solve that once I enter a new job, this early age retirement thing I've had going is already 5 months old after all, starting to get bored!

Archived