Do you like face to face human contact when purchasing something?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like face to face human contact when purchasing something?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't know.
    • I am a machine.

Having recently been to Sheffield I went into a supermarket and left empty handed due to a lack of staff serving, I do not want to be served by a machine (serve myself).

I also used the station, and ended up missing my train due to a lack of human staff selling tickets.

Personally I despise dealing with machines. I want to carry out a transaction with a human when purchasing something.

My visit to Sheffield has put me off of coming to Sheffield and especially put me off of spending any money there. I would rather go elsewhere to spend my money. Sheffield is supposed to be a city, it often prides itself on having a 'village' feel. It does not. It has the infrastructure of a town and feels nothing like a village. People seldom chat in the street, compared to other places in South Yorkshire, and there is a severe lack of human interaction when going about ones daily business.

Or maybe you would rather businesses in Sheffield got rid of all staff and all your daily business activity would be with machines.

Perhaps you liked to be served with a smile, or maybe you prefer the monotonous beeps of a machine...

Yes, I like to be served by a human being. If Tesco and the others want me to serve and pack myself then they should pay me a wage and the appropriate employer contributions. I try to avoid 'self-serve' as far as possible - often going a long way out of my way, such as to Asda at night.

Going to our local bakery as a kid with 2d and coming back with a loaf of bread and 1/4p change (a farthing)

Those days have gone, I mention the above because they changed and became the first super market in our part of the city. cost cutting seems to mean the cutting of manners as well. If you don't like it - go else where, seems to be the attitude nowadays.

within the last 6 months I have come across 2 (two) people who did their jobs above and beyond what was needed, I didn't hesitate, but sent their companies an e/mail stating how good they were. congratulate where appropriate, condemn when necessary.

It depends. I don't know of any supermarkets where they only have the machines? Plces like Waitrose don't even have them.

At lunch time or when I'm busy I just want to get in, buy something and get out. 99% of the time I can do this and it's far quicker to scan the stuff myself. Sainsbury's machines are somewhat slower than Tesco for some reason. They look to be the same software etc but when I chose "I have my own bags" the Sainsbury's ones wait for an age.

However when I do a 'big shop' I prefer to go to a till :)

I hate shopping and just want whichever system is quickest, what is so good about this whole shopping experience?

Unless you're a saddo or on the pull then why do you care what a Work Programme shop assistant has to say?

Machines work best sometimes ie London underground's Oyster card system, but these self serve machines in supermarkets seem to take longer.

I dont think I've ever been in a supermarket that didnt have any cashiers on.

Maybe reduced staff towards closing (1 or 2 people) and the self service tills open, but never been somewhere without a manned till. I really wonder where you do your food shop from..

I always wait in the queue rather than use the self serve, as that means thats one less cashier theyve hired

With train tickets, I always use the self serve machines. You can pay with cash or card (though not all of them accept cash) and never waited more than 5 minutes to collect tickets. I only use the ticket window if its going to be complicated and always make sure i leave early enough to get my ticket and not miss my desired train. Also I tend to use the station when theres no staff there, so the only way to get tickets, is from the machine.

the self service machines are to cut costs......less staff....cheaper goods...higher turnover...more profit....simple

the consumer will get cheaper groceries and pay more tax to foot the ever increasing benefits bill, the supermarkets will sort something out to ensure they're ok I'm sure

People will continue to spend their money on what they care about.....

Archived