Wiring some sockets up help please

hi ive just bought two chrome covers for the hall way but iam having some trouble fitting them one light has 2 switches and then next one has just 1. on the 2 way switch one controls up stairs light and one does the hallway light. trouble iam having I either get one to work or none. anybody help please

guessing is what kills people.

to the OP if your not sure with lecky get in someone who is.

Surely it's worth £30 to £60 to ensure it's set up right.

I had a similar problem with a ceiling light and got a sparks in to fix it.

The black wires were twisted together and were actually live!!!!

If you get it wrong then the chrome switch plate could be live with terrible consequences.

Surely it's worth £30 to £60 to ensure it's set up right.

Agreeing here - but I think "Surely it's worth £30 to £60 to ensure you don't kill yourself or your family" words it better.

It sounds like you have old wiring. I'm guessing red is live, black is neutral and the brown is earth.

NO NO NO NO!!!!

Earth is ****ALWAYS**** green/green/yellow.

Red (old) or Brown (new) are live

Black (old) or Blue (new) is neutral.

Wander over to the adverts section and get an electrician in.

It sounds like you have old wiring. I'm guessing red is live, black is neutral and the brown is earth.

You don't usually get a neutral in a light switch and the the brown is not, and has never been the earth. Please get someone who knows what they are doing

Archived