Morality of the religious without faith

I can look at the world around me, understanding it through the lens of science, and see it as evidence of the existence of a creator God.

My belief system? :hihi: I don't have a system, and I've only used myself as a hypothetical example here - a rhetorical form. I'm an atheist, if it matters to you.

Do you change on a daily basis?

I think the word "rational" does not mean what some people think it means

Definition of rational

adjective

-based on or in accordance with reason or logic:

I’m sure there’s a perfectly rational explanation

-able to think sensibly or logically:

Ursula’s upset—she’s not being very rational

-endowed with the capacity to reason:

man is a rational being

If he did acknowledge the possibility of miracles as described in other religious texts, then I think he would be negating or at least diluting the uniqueness (according to Christains) of the central doctrines of Christianity, and being a Christian himself, something he would be reluctant to do.

I haven't yet seen the other debates, but will do.

Yes, coming only from a Christian perspective its understandable he will be reluctant to speak about other doctrines, but he shouldn't evade those questions without stating why he isn't answering them when he has been invited to speak in public.

I like to have a look at the Closer to truth site from time to time, if only to listen to other peoples views and learn to broaden my limited knowledge of science, and where atheists and theists can exchange ideas and disagree with mutual respect and tolerance without feeling a need to resort to mockery.

It was after hearing a radio broadcast some time back (which included an interview with the priest and lecturer Sarah Coakley) that I was prompted to have a look, and I'm glad I did.

http://www.closertotruth.com/video-profile/What-Kind-of-World-did-God-Create-Sarah-Coakley-/2568

Which view point are you referring to? :huh:
That's what is puzzling me, especially as the comment was posted following my post.

The comment may be referring to something in your first post or the thread title? We will probably never get an explanation because some people just like to throw in a random comment without wishing to get into any further discussion.

I disagree with pretty much everything you've written there Phan, but it serves nothing to keep going through each point and saying so.

You've taken an odd stance for an atheist, you appear to be claiming that it is impossible to argue for any given viewpoint due to a lack of personal experience of how other viewpoints are formed.

Re:believe, logic, etc... Belief is an end state of consideration of a possibility, logic is a means of thinking, thinking is just as natural as belief, I don't think you can believe something without having thought about it. Formal logic is a construct, but the natural cause seeking, pattern matching, thought process of the brain is not.

It's interesting that you can dismiss the idea of compartmentalisation as psycho babble, yet want to give time to the god delusion.

I completely agree with this

Occams razor suggests that the simplest explanation should take preference over more convoluted explanations.

The simplest explanation is clearly not something that invokes the supernatural or unobservable, mysterious deities.

(It's worth noting that science has identified the part of the brain that causes these experiences and it's even possible to artificially stimulate it).

One area might be worth pursuing, you believe that religion, or specifically theism (that is what we started talking about) is unrelated to the idea of god. I'd like to see how you explain that. You can believe in god without following a religion, but following a religion honestly pretty much requires a believe in god or gods, or spirits or some form of the unmeasurable supernatural.

One area might be worth pursuing, you believe that religion, or specifically theism (that is what we started talking about) is unrelated to the idea of god. I'd like to see how you explain that. You can believe in god without following a religion, but following a religion honestly pretty much requires a believe in god or gods, or spirits or some form of the unmeasurable supernatural.

No it doesn't .

The simplest explanation is clearly not something that invokes the supernatural or unobservable, mysterious deities.

(It's worth noting that science has identified the part of the brain that causes these experiences and it's even possible to artificially stimulate it)..

Neuroscience has advanced considerably, but I don't think it has managed to explain the complexity of human consciousness or read the thoughts of individual minds yet.

Archived