Lotto Windfall, What Would You Do?

I'd invest about 80%+ in my business, including:

Moving in to new offices.

Taking on 3 or 4 full time employees.

I'd also be very keen to find good business mentor / financial advisor / accountant type people.

Re:inheritance, a 1 million £ win, assuming you have a partner would barely break into the IT bracket these days.
Rest assured, I'm not planning on doing all of what I posted for a 'mere' £1m. As already posted in here, £1m doesn't get you very far these days. Buys you a bit more security and widens your life options, but by and large it's not life-changing. IMHO.

E.g. with a £1m win, I'd use a good portion of that to buy more of my firm's equity outright, pay off what little is left on the mortgage, pay for more of the repairs and upgrades to our family home in France, upgrade my (15 year old-) car for something newer (but still not that flash)...and leave all other aspects of my life pretty much 'as is', because most of that £1m would be gone by then! :D

Now, if you're talking double-digits £ms...

A bit of planning in advance (assuming that you're not planning on dying in the next year or two) and any IT payment would be avoided.
That's just the thing: notionally, no-one has that 'advance'. You can prepare best you can, thoroughly as you can, and yet...topically, the long-awaited inquest into my brother-in-law's untimely passing start Thursday: he had not signed his work's life insurance policy yet, as he'd only recently started the job, and received the policy for review and signing the day before he was killed :|

Rest assured, I'm not planning on doing all of what I posted for a 'mere' £1m. As already posted in here, £1m doesn't get you very far these days. Buys you a bit more security and widens your life options, but by and large it's not life-changing. IMHO.

E.g. with a £1m win, I'd use a good portion of that to buy more of my firm's equity outright, pay off what little is left on the mortgage, pay for more of the repairs and upgrades to our family home in France, upgrade my (15 year old-) car for something newer (but still not that flash)...and leave all other aspects of my life pretty much 'as is', because most of that £1m would be gone by then! :D

Now, if you're talking double-digits £ms...

That's just the thing: notionally, no-one has that 'advance'. You can prepare best you can, thoroughly as you can, and yet...topically, the long-awaited inquest into my brother-in-law's untimely passing start Thursday: he had not signed his work's life insurance policy yet, as he'd only recently started the job, and received the policy for review and signing the day before he was killed :|

Moving the money out of the country is a form of 'advance' planning though... I think we all work on the assumption that we have time left, otherwise we wouldn't spend the day going to work!

---------- Post added 25-06-2013 at 18:05 ----------

No, that's a logical impossibility and poor syntax.

Were you hoping to win a pedant award instead of the lottery?

Archived