Is University Worth It?

I'd reconsider uni, you've gotta weight up the costs of the course and the wage you're going to be getting after.

Afterall at 9K/year plus living expenses you're going to come out of uni with near 40K debt.

I think it's heavily dependent on what degree you do, and even then what you want to do with it once you've got it. I know someone who is still stacking shelves at asda with a psychology degree. I know an engineer who got a decent job as soon as he left university.

Careers like teaching, nursing, science and the average graduate jobs just don't pay enough to make the economics work.

Interestingly Nursing has one of the highest incidences of workplace bullying, as does Teaching, and the Police. One view of this is that people are drawn to these areas because it puts them in a position of power and control over people more vulnerable than themselves.

Interestingly Nursing has one of the highest incidences of workplace bullying, as does Teaching, and the Police. One view of this is that people are drawn to these areas because it puts them in a position of power and control over people more vulnerable than themselves.

It could also be that they are professions where people are paid little extra for a high level of management responsibility for which they have little/no training or support, being expected to perform well beyond the resources they are given.

I suspect in any case that the draw of power will not be sufficient to persuade people to take on ~£40k of debt.

I have a degree, and in fact a higher degree also, and I say for the majority; no, it's not worth it. Many of my friends are now at the time of life when they are having children. Every one says they will not advise their kids to go to uni.

I paid the initial fees which Labour introduced, cheap by comparison (£1125/yr). I'm now still in my 30s losing over £100/month in repayments on the loan. With fees at £9000/yr there is just no way it's worth it for the majority of degrees. Careers like teaching, nursing, science and the average graduate jobs just don't pay enough to make the economics work.

It's about more than just the economics though. It's also about what opportunities it can open up, different career paths that rightly or wrongly aren't open to you without a degree.

I wouldn't change my decision to go to pack a job in at 17 and go back to A levels/Uni.

I think it's heavily dependent on what degree you do, and even then what you want to do with it once you've got it. I know someone who is still stacking shelves at asda with a psychology degree. I know an engineer who got a decent job as soon as he left university.

It does come down to money tho, I know if I did the same degree at uni now and went on to use it I'd be wanting to see more money for my troubles, the same must be true for teachers and nurses and stuff.

Surely people are going to start turning round and saying "I've got 40K hanging over my head, I refuse to accept a starting wage of a supermarket till worker"

Surely people are going to start turning round and saying "I've got 40K hanging over my head, I refuse to accept a starting wage of a supermarket till worker"
Would that be the same sort of attitude pre-tuition fees and pre-crisis where people said "I've got 40K hanging over my head a degree in <insert whatever specialty>, I refuse to accept a starting wage of a supermarket till worker"? ;)

Archived