Manufacturing is up..

i think most people do "welcome this news" - any small step in the right direction is good news

to welcome improvement doesn't automatically mean you support this government or its policies

good news is good news - the problem is that some people take stories like this in isolation (as do some people with negative stories)

the bigger picture is more than just one month's small increase in manufacturing output

it seems they only like stuff they can bash to Govt with. Curious that.... :suspect: I can't imagine why....

and while we're on the subject - why do you find it difficult to imagine why opponents of the government like news items which show the government in a bad light?

and while we're on the subject - why do you find it difficult to imagine why opponents of the government like news items which show the government in a bad light?

The problem is, most of them will not nail their colours to the wall when asked. All they will do is attack the government but fail to offer any alternative.

The problem is, most of them will not nail their colours to the wall when asked. All they will do is attack the government but fail to offer any alternative.

isn't that what most oppositions do most of the time?

if you don't stick your head over the parapet you're a much harder target

isn't it also the case that most economic arguments are hypothetical/theoretical anyway?

those not in power could propose any policy they want - there is no way of knowing if a bit less austerity and a bit more investment in infrastructure would have made any difference (either positive or negative) without actually trying it - those in favour of the policy will say that it would have a positive effect, those against the policy would say that it would make things worse - but no-one will ever know

and also, the UK economy is such a widely varied thing that some policies would have positive effects on some things and negative effects on others - some commentators would focus on the positives, some on the negatives - some would believe a negative impact to be a price worth paying, whilst others wouldn't

i remember someone once likened it to wrestling a blancmange - just when you get one bit under control, you lose control of another bit

for what it's worth i don't believe george osborne has much of a clue how to stimulate the economy sufficiently, but then again, i don't think that was his primary objective in the first few years of this government - he can't cut taxes as much as he would like because not enough businesses are making enough profits - businesses as a whole are reluctant to commit massive amounts of money to investment because they don't see the demand - that is why, i believe, the government (this one and the last one) should have funded capital expenditure programmes to kickstart the economy - it's all very well having a market led economy, but when the markets are all saying "keep your money in the bank" someone else has to encourage them to spend

i think most people do "welcome this news" - any small step in the right direction is good news

<...>

the bigger picture is more than just one month's small increase in manufacturing output

The bigger picture is that this Gvt's economical policies, implemented and in action awhile now, are visibly starting to bear fruit where economical growth is concerned.

Ever more 'benchmark' statistical indicators are turning, and staying, green, relative to 12+ months ago.

For that matter, not unexpectedly either (i.e. recognising same does not make it a glowing endorsement of the Gvt, but "credit due where credit is due" should be the benchmark of fairness).

I tried to post earlier but my tablet wouldnt let me. I was typing that I wondered how long it would be before Mecky posted to say that all stats are made up. Sadly I was only half right

Ask Mecky a question, he vanishes then :hihi:

Archived