Manufacturing is up..

No. You are misrepresenting my posts, for the sake of constructing your invalid argument.

Not in the least. I suggest you re-read my posts and see what I actually wrote, rather than what you think I wrote.

You can wriggle all you want, my long-eared friend. I'm not interested in speculating whether -

- because the Tories were not in power whereby, so far as I'm concerned, that is that (which is why I'm not particularly bothered about what they say would have happened or not, nor discussing it).

The 'magic' combination of granting independence to the BoE, deregulating banks and setting up a toothless FSA which they failed to support at required times.

US sub-primes were traded en masse in the City to escape federal financial market oversight in the US, and trading of CDS increased 100-fold from 1998 to 2008. example (non-exhaustive).

Coincidence? I think not ;)

I have not.

You have failed to understand mine: I'm just not interested in the political side of the debate, only in the economical/financial side. The political angle is sterile, clouding as it does an objective assessment of what happened and how not to let it happen again.

That we are discussing all this in the context of political parties in governance is irrelevant (to my point): I would have made exactly the same remark, had the Cons been in power and Labour in the opposition, and had policies & events unfolded just the same.

I'm not wriggling at all. and it is obviously quite insolent to say something like that. CDS didn't even exist until the 1990s. It is reasonable to suppose a product would be traded a lot more in the years after it came into existence than it was before it existed. Nice attempt at blinding me with pseudo knowledgable BS though. If it wasn't for google you might have even pulled it off!

So, despite the judgemental and all knowing tone of your previous two posts, some of your assertions are at best subjective, although you would probably go for a more accusatory word like 'disingenuous' yourself. It is that same interminable tone of superiority which also betrays the fact that you are more intested in scoring points and appearing clever, than actually expressing an opinion which you hold with any conviction.

Now go and find someone else to bicker endlessly with. Game Over.

Absolutely correct, this is the period when the country went completely bonkers. We have never really recovered.

It seems we are recovering now.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-08/pound-surges-most-in-3-years-on-signs-u-k-economy-strengthening.html

Pound Surges Most in 3 Years on Signs U.K. Economy Strengthening

The pound had its biggest weekly gain versus the dollar in more than three years as U.K. manufacturing, services and home-price data beat economist forecasts, boosting confidence in the economy.

Sterling appreciated for the first week in six against the euro. It rallied to the strongest level in more than three months versus the greenback, as the U.S. currency dropped versus all but two of its 16 major counterparts. U.K. government bonds fell for a third week after Bank of England policy makers kept stimulus measures unchanged at Governor Mervyn King’s final meeting.

The currency was boosted after a June 5 report showed a gauge of service industry activity from Markit Economics and the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply rose to 54.9 for May, the highest in 14 months. That’s more than the 53.1 median forecast in a Bloomberg survey. A reading above 50 indicates expansion. Separate Markit reports on manufacturing and construction on the prior two days also rose more than economists estimated. U.K. house prices rose for a fourth month in May, Halifax said on June 6.

Unfortunately having a strong currency is bad for exports, which is why China deliberately keep their's much weaker than it should be.

You are scraping the barrel to find something negative to post aren't you?:hihi::hihi:

Perhaps you should have included the rest of my post.

You are scraping the barrel to find something negative to post aren't you?:hihi::hihi:

Yes, it must be an negative agenda which motivates my correcting your misunderstanding of basic economics. There is no other possible explaination. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: etc.

Perhaps you should have included the rest of my post.

By excluding the rest of the post, people can just read the bit I was answering without trawling through the whole thing again. The point wasn't taken out of context or misconstrued. Pretty standard practice really.

Yes, it must be an negative agenda which motivates my correcting your misunderstanding of basic economics. There is no other possible explaination. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: etc.

By excluding the rest of the post, people can just read the bit I was answering without trawling through the whole thing again. The point wasn't taken out of context or misconstrued. Pretty standard practice really.

No you excluded the rest of my post because it made nonsense of what you had posted.

But moving on..

So if the predictions of growth for Europe the UK economy are correct and by mid 2015 we have pretty good growth, a pretty good reduction in budget deficit, folks finding jobs and in contrast Europe in the doldrums and struggling for growth will you be pleased or sad?

No you excluded the rest of my post because it made nonsense of what you had posted.

Typical SF logic. Someone doesn't agree with something you say, so you immediately get personal and caste aspersions, making accusations you have no possible way of knowing.

Rising currency value is bad for exports. That is an indisputable fact. How can you make 'a nonsense' of a stone cold fact?

I didn't go on this forum for ages, and now I remember why. There are just too many rude, ignorant and opinionated types on here.

But moving on..

So if the predictions of growth for Europe the UK economy are correct and by mid 2015 we have pretty good growth, a pretty good reduction in budget deficit, folks finding jobs and in contrast Europe in the doldrums and struggling for growth will you be pleased or sad?

Most growth predictions I've seen on the TV suggest that we'll have anything but good growth for the next 5 - 8 years. It is said that it will take upto 2020 to get back to where we were before the credit crunch.

Typical SF logic. Someone doesn't agree with something you say, so you immediately get personal and caste aspersions, making accusations you have no possible way of knowing.

Rising currency value is bad for exports. That is an indisputable fact. How can you make 'a nonsense' of a stone cold fact?

I didn't go on this forum for ages, and now I remember why. There are just too many rude, ignorant and opinionated types on here.

That's as I understood it Donkey, that a strong £ makes our goods less competitive. I read that's why after the devaluation in 1992 (black Wednesday) manufacturing picked up.

Archived