Damage to tyre due to pot holes

I know several people who have successfully claimed off the council for damage to theirs cars, mainly for broken springs and ball joints though to be honest.

As has been mentioned though, take photos of the pothole and give as much information as possible as to the circumstances to the damaged tyre, Also keep the tyre as evidence.

Generally speaking though, I think you are going struggle with something like that. As a class 4 MOT tester there is a fair few cars out there with tyres I wouldn't fit on my wheel barrow, so unless the tyre was pretty mint anyway, I think it will be pretty much an up hill battle.

So the fault lies with my friend for driving over a pothole, not the council for the failure to maintain the highway to a safe and satisfactory manner... :huh:

Yes. He should have been paying attention, spotted it and taken action to avoid it. He cannot claim that he couldn't see it through poor visibility as it's been practically perfect recent. I'd suggest an eye test if he still maintains he didn't see it in time.

BoothyBabe - In this instance, everywhere pertains to the many towns and cities I've visited around the UK.

Yes. He should have been paying attention, spotted it and taken action to avoid it. He cannot claim that he couldn't see it through poor visibility as it's been practically perfect recent. I'd suggest an eye test if he still maintains he didn't see it in time.

BoothyBabe - In this instance, everywhere pertains to the many towns and cities I've visited around the UK.

HAHA, when was the last time you drove on Sheffield roads? Avoid one, go down two others maybe one or two more, or hit the parked car parked outside number 23? not as simple as that and you should know it.

:hihi::hihi::hihi: Good luck on that

Why is it funny, though?

We all have plenty of 'taxes' extorted from us whilst running a car, so the political bourgeoisie who pretend to represent us can spend our money employing people to choose wines appropriate for them to consume at their luncheons - and the amount of rules and regulations our vehicles our required to meet in the name of safety (ie. an excuse to fine us again or make us purchase MOT retests if we fail) are increased all the time.

If our vehicles' safety is so important, perhaps it isn't too much to expect the roads to be made safe also, with a small fraction of all this money being harvested from motorists. :rolleyes: This is Britain, not Mogadishu.

HAHA, when was the last time you drove on Sheffield roads? Avoid one, go down two others maybe one or two more, or hit the parked car parked outside number 23? not as simple as that and you should know it.

Jeez this is a first, i actually agree with you on something. :hihi:

If you're doing say 40mph on a narrow road and a car is coming the other way giving you no escape route you can't exactly just slam on the anchors can you ?

Jeez this is a first, i actually agree with you on something. :hihi:

If you're doing say 40mph on a narrow road and a car is coming the other way giving you no escape route you can't exactly just slam on the anchors can you ?

Why can't you brake? And why are you doing 40mph on narrow road? If you're going to fast to avoid a foreseeable obstacle then you're at fault for driving beyond the conditions.

The only places where I'd expect a narrow road with a limit over 30mph would be a country lane where'd I'd expect to find a pothole and be extra vigilant.

Why can't you brake? And why are you doing 40mph on narrow road? If you're going to fast to avoid a foreseeable obstacle then you're at fault for driving beyond the conditions.

The only places where I'd expect a narrow road with a limit over 30mph would be a country lane where'd I'd expect to find a pothole and be extra vigilant.

So you wouldn't at any point hit 40mph i'm presuming ?

So to add to that i guess you'd have a queue right up your arse, so hitting the anchors at even 30mph would be a real wise move wouldn't it ?

Btw, not even had so much as a private parking invoice in 20 years driving, so thanks for the advice but i'll stick, thanks.

Oh Resident Resident Resident....i know you are just trolling, and i dont generally respond to trolls, but on this instance i will make an exception..

You suggest my friend was not paying attention to the roads because he hit a pot hole, he was probably concentrating watching out for children running out between parked cards, or old people walking out with having poor vision, or perhaps looking at the road signs ahead stating various highway controls, one should be able to drive in a relatively straight line and concentrate on pedestrian dangers without having to zigzag their way up the street to avoid damaging their car.

Talking about Zigzagging, i wonder how much of a danger this posses to motorcycles, specially when they overtake other vehicles.?

Why is it funny, though?

We all have plenty of 'taxes' extorted from us whilst running a car, so the political bourgeoisie who pretend to represent us can spend our money employing people to choose wines appropriate for them to consume at their luncheons - and the amount of rules and regulations our vehicles our required to meet in the name of safety (ie. an excuse to fine us again or make us purchase MOT retests if we fail) are increased all the time.

If our vehicles' safety is so important, perhaps it isn't too much to expect the roads to be made safe also, with a small fraction of all this money being harvested from motorists. :rolleyes: This is Britain, not Mogadishu.

Thats a great point shims, :thumbsup: and it is completely lost on some of the numpties on here, our mot's are some of the strictest in the world, so how come the roads dont come under the same scrutiny :huh:

Potentially going to be slightly controvertial here.

When I drive around Sheffield I do slow down, especially on roads that have Pot HOles, and the number of these is increasing.

Yet many people continue to drive along a road with Pot Holes like they are on a Straight A Road. If your hitting a pot hole at 50mph, rather than 25mph then surely its going to do damage?

I agree with the argument that the roads should be maintained, but there simply not. The motorist is sadly a cash cow and the fact is theres nothing we can do about it.

Alternatively, you could always vote Labour in at the next election and the petrol prices doubled when they were in power, so we know whats likely to happen if they get elected in 2015. Admittedly this current lot aren't brilliant but petrol prices have been more stable

Archived