Unemployment but do people want to work?

Sorry this is a bit of a rant ...

I'd have thought that with the high levels of unemployment people would really want a job. We've been advertising a part-time job as a general assistant for a few hours a day for our new business that's really taking off. Fair enough it isn't the most glamorous of jobs as its based in an engineering workshop but it's got a wide variety of tasks and has potential! We've been underwhelmed, not just with the volume of applications but the quality too! Having spoken to a couple of potential candidates they want to have cake and eat it!! They want to dictate when they can work - we're pretty flexible as long as the job gets done to allow the distribution of stuff. We're also offering training. What more do people want??????

Answers on a postcard please!!!

If you are UNEMPLOYED (not a student or a stay at home mum) then you do want to work, it just does not make sense to give up entitlement to the majority of your benefits and end up worse off by taking a job with a new company only offering a few hours per week. This especially applies to those under 25 who are not entitled to working tax credits.

Offer a proper job and you might get some proper applicants.

We've been advertising a part-time job as a general assistant for a few hours a day...

You could be having trouble if it's just a few hours a day. People with travel costs are going to be spending time and money for not much in return. Anyone signing on may not earn much above what they're getting on the dole if they took your work and you may not be offering enough hours for tax credits. Personally I've worked at times for little above JSA as it might lead to more work but I don't expect everyone to be like me.

Your thread title says unemployment and people as though everyone is reflected in your situation. You may look at it the other way round and ask yourself why you can't recruit anyone given the number of people unemployed.

It sounds to me as though its aimed at a pensioner who wants to supplyment his pension with a few quid.

Most people do want to work(believe me a few don't) but the jobs have to be realistic,a few hours a work for someone looking for full employment doesn't sound appertising to me.

Doug - there are many people who are unable to work full time. What about people who have to do the school run or perhaps have other caring duties? Some people may want a part time job while studying.

But the op states that people have wanted to do hours to suit which haven't impressed the op. So they want a flexible person who isn't flexible ?

Use a job agency. In my industry virtually all the jobs are handled via agencies.

Doug - you have to be realistic when using the term 'flexible'. It sounded more like the potential employees wanted to fix hours to suit themselves rather than be flexible.

Sorry this is a bit of a rant ...

I'd have thought that with the high levels of unemployment people would really want a job. We've been advertising a part-time job as a general assistant for a few hours a day for our new business that's really taking off. Fair enough it isn't the most glamorous of jobs as its based in an engineering workshop but it's got a wide variety of tasks and has potential! We've been underwhelmed, not just with the volume of applications but the quality too! Having spoken to a couple of potential candidates they want to have cake and eat it!! They want to dictate when they can work - we're pretty flexible as long as the job gets done to allow the distribution of stuff. We're also offering training. What more do people want??????

Answers on a postcard please!!!

Ive just posted you my reply here... :D