Unemployment but do people want to work?

Mmmm, but I think this is different somehow.

Previously mechanisation brought the price of goods down to an affordable price for more people, so demand went up and more jobs were created.

In the process it caused the collapse of existing industries, the rise and fall of massive companies and massive redundancies.

But people retrained, new industries arose, and life got better.

This time round the differential seems to be going into profits rather than into price reduction or better pay (more disposable income thus creating demand,) so the returns for shareholders increase, rather than the price of goods going down, and demand is stifled.

It always went into profit, profit is synonymous with GDP and GDP going up makes us all richer.

---------- Post added 13-06-2013 at 07:27 ----------

what hes posted is the truth, if you can show figures that what he said is wrong show us.

It works the other way around, if what he's claiming is true, then he can show figures to prove it.

No?

I do.

Once again you're wrong. But like the rest of the brainless leftie brigade on here, you won't answer, and wander off to the next thread to post more rubbish.

Well good for you, but that rather depends on the level of your part time salary and your commitments doesn't it?

Rather a ridiculous comment if you don't mind me saying.

Edited by Anna B

If you're unemployed then you're going to lose more in benefits than you could earn by taking a job on for a few hours a week. It's a benefit trap. If you can make it 30 hours a week you'll get plenty of applicants, then they can claim tax credits, etc if they're over 25 or have kids.

Edited by anywebsite

Well good for you, but that rather depends on the level of your part time salary and your commitments doesn't it?

Rather a ridiculous comment if you don't mind me saying.

You were, and are wrong. You said people can't live on part-time wage. That's wrong.

If you're unemployed then you're going to lose more in benefits than you could earn by taking a job on for a few hours a week. It's a benefit trap. If you can make it 30 hours a week you'll get plenty of applicants, then they can claim tax credits, etc if they're over 25 or have kids.

One of the key points of Universal Benefit (the new system) is to stop that happening.