Unemployment but do people want to work?

There are numerous well qualified people with degrees, masters etc. working alongside A8 immigrants in the meat packing factories. At NMW doing manual labour.
That simply tells you there's an oversupply of well-qualified people with degrees, masters etc. for the number of positions requiring their skills. This is the (entirely predictable-) result of years of degree-for-all policies. But then again...

Advertise a job that pays well and expect to be inundated with replies from unemployed, highly-skilled, well-qualified people who have been looking for work for months if not years.
Our direct experience (Sheffield company, looking to recruit any of BS/MSc/PhD graduates or part-qualified or full-qualified attorneys) says completely different.

Surprisingly few applicants (of which many just did not want to come to Sheffield at all for love or money, postulating as they did only "if we'll let them work from home" :rolleyes:), and just about all (incl. the graduates, which is 'bottom rung' in our industry) with completely unrealistic expectations, and who would seemingly rather stay on JSA and 'wait for the right job at the highest price' than adjust their expectations to the industry (benchmarked-) level.

We're about to fill the vacancies now (offers sent out), after 12 months of searching/advertising high and low (incl. overseas!)

Edited by L00b

So we should up benifits and make work optional? Make it worth while for single folk and I'll be at the front of the queue.

Nobody said anything about upping benefits. There will always be people that don't want to work. If people want to throw their life away like that, why not let them? Fortunately most people do want to work but if they do become long term unemployed why vilify them?

If people don't have children and don't intend to, i haven't got a problem with them being on benefits long term. Its people with kids that do it that are the problem.

I can see your point that once having had have children, as far as is practical part of the responsibility of parenthood is to create a good role model for that child.

But given that families nowadays are often single parent, and wages have not been keeping up with the cost of living, many people have no option but to be on benefits like tax credits.

If people don't have children and don't intend to, i haven't got a problem with them being on benefits long term. Its people with kids that do it that are the problem.

If people don't have children or other caring responsibilities and have no illness or disability that prevents them working, then there is little or nothing stopping them from working if and when jobs are available. Shouldn't unemployment benefits be seen as something to tide people over between jobs not as long term income?

---------- Post added 21-06-2013 at 22:52 ----------

I can see your point that once having had have children, as far as is practical part of the responsibility of parenthood is to create a good role model for that child.

But given that families nowadays are often single parent, and wages have not been keeping up with the cost of living, many people have no option but to be on benefits like tax credits.

Tax credits are a big help to parents on low and moderate incomes, especially when they have to pay childcare fees. I know several working parents who get tax credits. I'd prefer to see parents making use of those to supplement earnings rather than live solely on benefits. As you say, part of parenthood is creating a good role model, and teaching children by example.

Tac credits shouldn't need to exist.

---------- Post added 22-06-2013 at 00:23 ----------

We don't look for law graduates Cyclone, sorry. Only scientific/technical ones (who we then train/equip with a legal mind ;)).

Vacancies now filled, as well - offers have been accepted overnight :)

Ah, well, my mistake for not telling the whole story, I believe the person in question did a masters in law after getting a real degree, so if you want to interview one more send me a PM and I can put you in touch.

That simply tells you there's an oversupply of well-qualified people with degrees, masters etc. for the number of positions requiring their skills. This is the (entirely predictable-) result of years of degree-for-all policies. But then again...

Our direct experience (Sheffield company, looking to recruit any of BS/MSc/PhD graduates or part-qualified or full-qualified attorneys) says completely different.

Surprisingly few applicants (of which many just did not want to come to Sheffield at all for love or money, postulating as they did only "if we'll let them work from home" :rolleyes:), and just about all (incl. the graduates, which is 'bottom rung' in our industry) with completely unrealistic expectations, and who would seemingly rather stay on JSA and 'wait for the right job at the highest price' than adjust their expectations to the industry (benchmarked-) level.

We're about to fill the vacancies now (offers sent out), after 12 months of searching/advertising high and low (incl. overseas!)

Who are you to say what a unrealistic expectation is?