Unemployment but do people want to work?

Sorry, I don't know anything about universal benefits.

(But I do know that with any government trying to save money it'll probably mean less than people are getting now.)

Dismiss something even after admitting you know nothing about it... typical closed mind of the anti-govt posters in here.

Aye, rentiers are an enemy of productive enterprise and fair wages.

Hell yeah, or rent one.

And this is why you sit at home and complain on a forum rather than having a career.

Why do you think that part time work should make it possible to afford to rent or buy?

Don't be so foolish, many inherited, many got into debt and speculated. Very very few indeed will have saved and bought outright, or built new housing.

You don't know do you.

I'm working and building up savings, I'd never accept a part time job when unemployed though (unless I was a single parent), I'd stay on the dole until I could find full time work (I have)... I want to use them to build property though, I don't want to buy something that already exists.

I want a fairer system. I want competition. I want capitalism, a tree free market. No manipulation of the housing market, no restrictions on building. Let us build till we meet demand, then we will cease to build as there will be no point, for all will be housed in the accommodation we wish and can afford to build.

Yep, a massive sense of entitlement and no sense of responsibility.

[/color]

£30,000... ? what benefits are you getting?

I'm not even getting 1/2 that in full time employment..

Your a single person though aren't you, the most likely type of person to be in poverty, even if working!

£30k is what, £23k after tax. Knock off £1k for travel* to work costs. Knock off £1k for healthcare benefits. £21k.

*Travel costs could be much higher, a young person could face costs exceeding £6k per annum, most of which would be paying for the legal permission to drive.

The poster says they need £30k to make it worthwhile. So they want £21k in cash.

What might they be getting in cash benefits? £3.7k for JSA/ESA/lowest amount of income support, £1k for council tax, £3-6k in housing costs. £4k for a kid, £3k for every extra kid.

Say the poster is single and has 2 kids, that's nearly £18k.

Without taking into tax credits, A £30k job would only make them £3k per year better off. ~£50 a week, for forty hours. Effectively a wage of £1.50 an hour. Not even enough to buy a pint in the cheapest pub, for an hours labour!

Say they are single and get some 9k in benefits, vs a wage of £30k (£21k cash). That'd be 12k per year better off, £230 a week better off. About £5.50 an hour better off. Some 2-3 pints of beer per hour worked.

If they had a car, they might only be some £3 an hour better, some 1-1.5 beer per hour.

£30k is an above average salary. It'll make the worker some 2 beers better off per hour in a poor Northern town with high housing costing. In a wealthier Southern town with very very high housing costs, a worker will be some 1 pint per hour better off than dole.

An average Chinese person earns some 6 pints of beer per hour (that is before living costs are taken into account). With lower living costs the average Chinese person working is 4 pints of beer better off.

Why should an Englishman, especially a Yorkshiremen have to work an hour to be 1 beer better off, he can easily brew his own and brew 6 per hour of his time.

We also earn less beer per hour than the Germans, they earn many pints of beer per hour, their beer tax is 13 times lower than ours!

Could you imagine a German be happy to work for a pint an hour? It's all about incentives. And the high tax on the drinking culture peoples of the North is a massive disincentive.

Yorkshireman should be able to afford as much beer as a German for an hours work. Abolish beer duty, it is a racially discriminitive tax, there is no place for it in a multicultural society,

£30,000 a year is ridiculous. No wonder so many people don't want to work.

Well it's a good job that approximately 87% of the working age population in the UK still do work for wages that are on or below £30,000 per annum!

Many people simply don't want to work as it is far easier and stress free to be unemployed and on benefits. ''Why Work if you don't have to.

Stress free... have you ever been on benefits?

They are constantly on your back to find a job, ANY job (they don't care whether it suits you or not) and if you don't prove your job search they can (and will) stop your money for anything up to 18 months (I believe its this now, it changed recently....) and the way they prove this is you have to be signed up to their job search page, and have to be applying for at least 2 jobs every week from there...

If you fail to do this, or provide a valid reason why you haven't done it, then they will stop your money.... then your housing benefit would stop because you're officially not claiming any benefits, so you'd have to re-apply.... and you wouldn't be able to pay your bills as you have no income...

Do what most people are doing and do a part time job for 24hours a week, this way you get to keep all housing benefit, and most universal benefit, beats working 40hours and pay full rent and staff

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 11:49 ----------

Your a single person though aren't you, the most likely type of person to be in poverty, even if working!

£30k is what, £23k after tax. Knock off £1k for travel* to work costs. Knock off £1k for healthcare benefits. £21k.

*Travel costs could be much higher, a young person could face costs exceeding £6k per annum, most of which would be paying for the legal permission to drive.

The poster says they need £30k to make it worthwhile. So they want £21k in cash.

What might they be getting in cash benefits? £3.7k for JSA/ESA/lowest amount of income support, £1k for council tax, £3-6k in housing costs. £4k for a kid, £3k for every extra kid.

Say the poster is single and has 2 kids, that's nearly £18k.

Without taking into tax credits, A £30k job would only make them £3k per year better off. ~£50 a week, for forty hours. Effectively a wage of £1.50 an hour. Not even enough to buy a pint in the cheapest pub, for an hours labour!

Say they are single and get some 9k in benefits, vs a wage of £30k (£21k cash). That'd be 12k per year better off, £230 a week better off. About £5.50 an hour better off. Some 2-3 pints of beer per hour worked.

If they had a car, they might only be some £3 an hour better, some 1-1.5 beer per hour.

£30k is an above average salary. It'll make the worker some 2 beers better off per hour in a poor Northern town with high housing costing. In a wealthier Southern town with very very high housing costs, a worker will be some 1 pint per hour better off than dole.,

No point trying to educated those people as they dont want to know and will start calling you a troll aswell, i am happy with my benefits and freedom , let them do what they think its right

Stress free... have you ever been on benefits?

They are constantly on your back to find a job, ANY job (they don't care whether it suits you or not) and if you don't prove your job search they can (and will) stop your money for anything up to 18 months (I believe its this now, it changed recently....) and the way they prove this is you have to be signed up to their job search page, and have to be applying for at least 2 jobs every week from there...

If you fail to do this, or provide a valid reason why you haven't done it, then they will stop your money.... then your housing benefit would stop because you're officially not claiming any benefits, so you'd have to re-apply.... and you wouldn't be able to pay your bills as you have no income...

Agree.

It's almost like a full time job being on benefits. You have to jump through so many hoops, and people are generally treated with contempt by a lot of the counter staff. It wouldn't be so bad but it is all so counter-productive.

I think something has to be done to raise the confidence and self esteem of long term unemployed people. So many are lacking in these areas as a consequence of their circumstances, and coupled with depression which often accompanies unemployment, they will find it very difficult to find work.

It is not helped by the highly expensive but utterly ridiculous schemes such as A4e which are very poor quality and not fit for purpose.