Unemployment but do people want to work?

I would do anything to be back in work, Even if I'm no better off financially, there's the social aspect too, and some kind of meaning and purpose in your life. Being unemployed (unemployable in my case), is like being on a desert Island, initially you can cope with it, But then the desolation and realization of your predicament kicks in. sometimes the only people I see are at my signing point, who are less than interested.

Anyone who thinks it's a cushy deal for everyone is very much mistaken.

I would do anything to be back in work, Even if I'm no better off financially, there's the social aspect too, and some kind of meaning and purpose in your life. Being unemployed (unemployable in my case), is like being on a desert Island, initially you can cope with it, But then the desolation and realization of your predicament kicks in. sometimes the only people I see are at my signing point, who are less than interested.

Anyone who thinks it's a cushy deal for everyone is very much mistaken.

You need a few kids for the system to work in your favour, 3 is about the best

Edited by tony2

if you think you get £30,000 as a single job seeker theres something wrong with you!

Can you please read before talking nonsense

Your a single person though aren't you, the most likely type of person to be in poverty, even if working!

£30k is what, £23k after tax. Knock off £1k for travel* to work costs. Knock off £1k for healthcare benefits. £21k.

*Travel costs could be much higher, a young person could face costs exceeding £6k per annum, most of which would be paying for the legal permission to drive.

The poster says they need £30k to make it worthwhile. So they want £21k in cash.

What might they be getting in cash benefits? £3.7k for JSA/ESA/lowest amount of income support, £1k for council tax, £3-6k in housing costs. £4k for a kid, £3k for every extra kid.

Say the poster is single and has 2 kids, that's nearly £18k.

Without taking into tax credits, A £30k job would only make them £3k per year better off. ~£50 a week, for forty hours. Effectively a wage of £1.50 an hour. Not even enough to buy a pint in the cheapest pub, for an hours labour!

Say they are single and get some 9k in benefits, vs a wage of £30k (£21k cash). That'd be 12k per year better off, £230 a week better off. About £5.50 an hour better off. Some 2-3 pints of beer per hour worked.

If they had a car, they might only be some £3 an hour better, some 1-1.5 beer per hour.

£30k is an above average salary. It'll make the worker some 2 beers better off per hour in a poor Northern town with high housing costing. In a wealthier Southern town with very very high housing costs, a worker will be some 1 pint per hour better off than dole.

Many people simply don't want to work as it is far easier and stress free to be unemployed and on benefits. ''Why Work if you don't have to.

There's very few that don't want to work really. And I guess the reason why is that a lifetime of having very little money really isn't all that much fun, despite what the daily mail may tell you.

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 17:39 ----------

Do what most people are doing and do a part time job for 24hours a week, this way you get to keep all housing benefit, and most universal benefit, beats working 40hours and pay full rent and staff

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 11:49 ----------

No point trying to educated those people as they dont want to know and will start calling you a troll aswell, i am happy with my benefits and freedom , let them do what they think its right

Did you read the OP? It was part time work that was being offered, at better than minimum wage.

Freedom - if you even behave as you claim, you have the freedom to be poor and do very little, well done you.

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 17:45 ----------

Can you please read before talking nonsense

Your a single person though aren't you, the most likely type of person to be in poverty, even if working!

£30k is what, £23k after tax. Knock off £1k for travel* to work costs. Knock off £1k for healthcare benefits. £21k.

What is this knock of x for healthcare nonsense. If you get healthcare it's generally a benefit, so more like add on about £1k for healthcare, and add on about 5% for pension contribution as well.

*Travel costs could be much higher, a young person could face costs exceeding £6k per annum, most of which would be paying for the legal permission to drive.

Only if they drive a sports car. For a small car with cheap insurance, and using £20 of fuel a week it's more likely to be about half that.

If they can get the tram it'll be £500 a year.

The poster says they need £30k to make it worthwhile. So they want £21k in cash.

What might they be getting in cash benefits? £3.7k for JSA/ESA/lowest amount of income support, £1k for council tax, £3-6k in housing costs. £4k for a kid, £3k for every extra kid.

Say the poster is single and has 2 kids, that's nearly £18k.

What are the benefits for children, and couldn't they be claimed even if working?

Without taking into tax credits, A £30k job would only make them £3k per year better off. ~£50 a week, for forty hours. Effectively a wage of £1.50 an hour. Not even enough to buy a pint in the cheapest pub, for an hours labour!

A false comparison, they'd be earning the full amount, not just the difference that the state was no longer giving them. And why exactly are you doing it without tax credits?

Say they are single and get some 9k in benefits, vs a wage of £30k (£21k cash). That'd be 12k per year better off, £230 a week better off. About £5.50 an hour better off. Some 2-3 pints of beer per hour worked.

If they had a car, they might only be some £3 an hour better, some 1-1.5 beer per hour.

Something odd about your calculations as well, 12k/year I make £7/hr better off. That's £7 for every hour.

£30k is an above average salary. It'll make the worker some 2 beers better off per hour in a poor Northern town with high housing costing. In a wealthier Southern town with very very high housing costs, a worker will be some 1 pint per hour better off than dole.

I've no idea why we are now measuring income in over priced pints of beer, but at every step your calculations are distorted to make it seem less beneficial to work.

Something odd about your calculations as well, 12k/year I make £7/hr better off. That's £7 for every hour.

If I top up your income by 50p per hour worked, I'm making you 50p per hour worked better off. You don't compare £12k with 0. You measure effective increases in income.

I've no idea why we are now measuring income in over priced pints of beer, but at every step your calculations are distorted to make it seem less beneficial to work.

It is a part of British culture for a working man to have a pint, we have pubs all across the country for working men, but they are fast disappearing.

Working men should be paid a wage sufficient to partake in the pint. Be that through higher wages, lower effective taxes and effective income increases or beer tax reductions.

Stress free... have you ever been on benefits?

They are constantly on your back to find a job, ANY job (they don't care whether it suits you or not) and if you don't prove your job search they can (and will) stop your money for anything up to 18 months (I believe its this now, it changed recently....) and the way they prove this is you have to be signed up to their job search page, and have to be applying for at least 2 jobs every week from there...

If you fail to do this, or provide a valid reason why you haven't done it, then they will stop your money.... then your housing benefit would stop because you're officially not claiming any benefits, so you'd have to re-apply.... and you wouldn't be able to pay your bills as you have no income...

Not being funny, but that's not too much to ask is it?

How is anyone expected to find work if they don't apply for any jobs?

If I top up your income by 50p per hour worked, I'm making you 50p per hour worked better off. You don't compare £12k with 0. You measure effective increases in income.

Maybe that's your problem. If instead you look at how much you earn, it goes from £0 to £12k. And how much charity you receive it goes from £9k or whatever it worked out at, to £0.

This is just another expression of the problem of lots of understanding of rights, but little understanding of responsibilities.

It is a part of British culture for a working man to have a pint, we have pubs all across the country for working men, but they are fast disappearing.

It's not a tradition to measure pay in pints/hr.

Working men should be paid a wage sufficient to partake in the pint. Be that through higher wages, lower effective taxes and effective income increases or beer tax reductions.

And they are, so rest easy.