Fire alarms. What are they for anyway?

I did say I think, was was not 100% sure, but as usual that's never looked at on this site.

Well how come every time the alarm went off at work, we HAD to evacuate and weren't allowed back in until the FB or security had cleared it safe. Perhaps the FB might not have to attend, but you still need to ascertain if it's a real fire.

If I was in the restaurant I'd get out till it was confirmed as a false alarm, and anyone with an ounce of savvy would.

I'm sorry my comment really wasn't meant as a criticism. :blush:

Where I work, we have different alarms to tell us how close the alert is, if the alert isn't any where near we wouldn't even hear an alarm. If it is signalled to be in our area we'd have to investigate it by looking at one of the fire panels which would tell us the exact location where the alarm has been sounded. A fire officer would also investigate and co-ordinate if the Fire Brigade need to attend.

Easy,it would have come up on the panel where the activation was eg gents toilet,manager goes to said location,someones having a fag,false alarm.If it was continuing for several minutes, this may be because they could not reset it, until smoke was clear, assuming it was a smoke detector and not a call point.

Easy,it would have come up on the panel where the activation was eg gents toilet,manager goes to said location,someones having a fag,false alarm.If it was continuing for several minutes, this may be because they could not reset it, until smoke was clear, assuming it was a smoke detector and not a call point.

The silence sounders button, pretty much does what it says on the label.

I'm sorry my comment really wasn't meant as a criticism. :blush:

Where I work, we have different alarms to tell us how close the alert is, if the alert isn't any where near we wouldn't even hear an alarm. If it is signalled to be in our area we'd have to investigate it by looking at one of the fire panels which would tell us the exact location where the alarm has been sounded. A fire officer would also investigate and co-ordinate if the Fire Brigade need to attend.

No worries JFK, it's just when I worked and it went off drill or real, we all had to evacuate that may be more down to DWP rules, I'm not too sure.

Nice to see you got the "special one" back, the PL might liven up now.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The silence sounders button, pretty much does what it says on the label.

Wouldn't be much point unless all the smoke is clear, because as soon as smoke is detected after its silenced it will just sound again.

Wouldn't be much point unless all the smoke is clear, because as soon as smoke is detected after its silenced it will just sound again.

No. Silence Sounders, if fitted to the alarm system, literally does what it says - it silences the alarms but doesn't cancel the alarm activation.

That said, some systems have a timeout on the silence function which will cancel the silence if the alarm hasn't been cancelled / button on the fire panel hasn't been pressed after a certain amount of time.

No worries JFK, it's just when I worked and it went off drill or real, we all had to evacuate that may be more down to DWP rules, I'm not too sure.

Nice to see you got the "special one" back, the PL might liven up now.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am the happiest person in the world now that Maureen is back to reclaim his rightful throne, and then to lead us to the pinnacle once more.

No. Silence Sounders, if fitted to the alarm system, literally does what it says - it silences the alarms but doesn't cancel the alarm activation.

That said, some systems have a timeout on the silence function which will cancel the silence if the alarm hasn't been cancelled / button on the fire panel hasn't been pressed after a certain amount of time.

Thats what i said,no point putting it on silence if there is an arsonist in the loose setting fire to different parts of a large building.You can put it on silence, but if smoke detector or a call point is pressed, it will over ride the silence command and sound again.At the end of the day everyone should have been evacuated until the alarm could be reset.

Thats what i said

No it's not. A fire alarm system with silence sounders shouldn't cancel that function if some other trigger is made. That is not what the function is there for (it's primary functions are after false alarms and for testing).

What you are suggesting is what should happen if you cancel the alarm, in which case another trigger input will make the alarms go off again.

As to whether everyone should have been evacuated, then that's a completely different story. I've been at work once with the fire alarm silenced (but in Alarm mode) for several hours before after a builder has smashed a break glass unit off the wall while we waited for the service company to come out. Everyone got back to work with the exception of one fire marshall posted to the fire panel to monitor it (who could have cancelled the silencing if any other triggers were announced).

No it's not. A fire alarm system with silence sounders shouldn't cancel that function if some other trigger is made. That is not what the function is there for (it's primary functions are after false alarms and for testing).

What you are suggesting is what should happen if you cancel the alarm, in which case another trigger input will make the alarms go off again.

As to whether everyone should have been evacuated, then that's a completely different story. I've been at work once with the fire alarm silenced (but in Alarm mode) for several hours before after a builder has smashed a break glass unit off the wall while we waited for the service company to come out. Everyone got back to work with the exception of one fire marshall posted to the fire panel to monitor it (who could have cancelled the silencing if any other triggers were announced).

Seems like we are both right, as ours, when silenced will re sound if smoke is detected again if we try to reset it or triggered elsewhere.Maybe systems differ.Also with ours, that if a call point is pressed,the panel will bleep and you have 2 minutes to get to the location, find out if it is real or malicious, replace glass and then radio whoever is at the panel to reset before alarm sounds.

Archived