Peritonsillar abscess anyone had it?

anybody ever had quinsy known as peritonsillar abscess its a sort of abscess that takes over the throat

any makes swallowing really really painfull

had it twice in last 4 months and spent 2 days in hospital with it as it had to be drained 1st time was with neddles second time with scalple both f.... killed :gag:

anyway im 33 and was wondering if anyone as had this before if so did they have there tonsils took out if so did it stop you getting the peritonsillar abscess

again????

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 06:39 ----------

nobody had it your all lucky then

That sounds awful. Sore throat is up there on my top ten of awful ailments!!! It is much more distressing than all sorts of other serious things in my experience. I don't know why it is so distressing, but I agree it is awful.

I have not had this, but I had loads of sore throats in the past. Then didn't have them for years. Then I got a sore throat as an adult and was amazed how painful it is. Like I said much worse than all sorts of other things.

I have no suggestions of what helps.

Ahhh Quinsy, My friend had that and she said it was very very painful the only cause her Dr came up with was that her immune system wasn,t running up to par and she was very run down, that was many years ago now though maybe since then they have discovered another cause for it.

Hi, I suffered from tonsillitis regularly as a child and got quinsy when I was 18. I was dehydrated and go sent me to hospital. The abscess was immediately syringed, yuk, and I was kept in isolation as I presume I was contagious!

Got tonsils and uvula and I believe adenoids all removed. I have not had quinsy since!

BUT...... I got a stomach infection a couple of years later. Got scarring on my throat which itched! Still get pharyngitis/sore throats a couple of times a year.

I had refused a tonsillectomy when I was about 8, and then having it done at 18 was horrific. I didn't get ice cream, but dry toast and sausage which I only ate so I could leave the nasty unsympathetic nurses. I would say don't get them out. It was awful. X

My ex husband had this and it nearly did him in. His sort of wound around his trachea and was swelling to the point that he had trouble breathing. It was drained with needles and he has never had a problem since. That was a couple of years ago now. Hope you don't get it again.

Archived