Wood Machinests

Wood machinists do they still exist?

I did a five-year apprenticeship in wood machining, or at least I left school at 15 and worked as an apprentice's apprentice for 12 months until I started my apprenticeship proper. Going to college, initially on day release then changing this into block release. I acquired city and Guilds basic with credit, city and Guilds advanced with credit and did a bridge course for HNC, passing the construction exam also with credit. My question is, are there any wood machinists out there still. I mean, sole job is to machine timber using i.e. crosscut, rip saw, planer, mortiser and spindle moulding machine etc.

Even in the early-70s joiners were being allowed to operate machines, 10 years later and the wood machinist was becoming a thing of the past, this, I felt was the demise of the wood machinist and like the Shepherd protecting his sheep, I got the flock out of there. I still keep my hand in now and again and would be grateful for some very part-time work, joking apart, are there any other would machinists left with five fingers on both hands.

I had the privilege of joining AIMWT back in the 70s, who know what that stands for.

I began a joinery apprenticeship in 1973 at Bradbury construction.One of my duties was to assist the resident wood machinist and also to sweep up the machine shop when he'd finished.If my memory serves me correctly he was called 'Edgar' and was quite an old lad then,pleasant chap.

I worked at a joinery company at woodhouse until 1998. he main aim of the company was to down grade joiners and machinists to woodworking operativeds to save money. suggest if someone needs to work as a machinists they go to a small joinery company or go self employed or go subcontract to small group of indiapendent joiners

Archived