Anybody want a pint not in this pub

At that time, parts of Sheffield was like something out of a Dicken's novel!

It's just as bad now, all we are missing is the workhouses, if Cameron and his click had his way, North of Watford would have two in every town.:hihi:

Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with something out of a Dickens novel!

ok make your search for flo midwood pub singer

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 00:14 ----------

going back along time flo midwood was a club act in early sixties.the pub was probally the samson or newmarket

you got it it was the newmarket pub glasses only this was miday in the early 50,s

ok make your search for flo midwood pub singer

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 00:14 ----------

you got it it was the newmarket pub glasses only this was miday in the early 50,s

I can confirm it was the Newmarket. Flo was a good singer, I am trying to think of the name of the bloke on the piano, (might have been Don Greenfield).

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 14:56 ----------

It's just as bad now, all we are missing is the workhouses, if Cameron and his click had his way, North of Watford would have two in every town.:hihi:

Not a bad idea, also re introduce Asylums for the mentally ill, show some humanity.

I can confirm it was the Newmarket. Flo was a good singer, I am trying to think of the name of the bloke on the piano, (might have been Don Greenfield).

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 14:56 ----------

Not a bad idea, also re introduce Asylums for the mentally ill, show some humanity.

Yes because there is only one left in England, it goes by the name of The Houses of Parliment. :hihi:

Yes because there is only one left in England, it goes by the name of The Houses of Parliment. :hihi:

Cant use it anymore, its full!

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 10:20 ----------

hillpig

don greenfield did play piano in newmarket,he was my gaffer at a engineering firm in carbrook.when we had a do for workmates at the amberly he used to play for us.great pianist

He once told me he couldn't read music, I was sat in the Wellington on Brightside Lane and they had a juke box, Don wanted to hear a song that had just come out and he listened to it, sat at the piano, played along with the juke box, Then played it perfectly. What a talent. A lovely bloke, is he still alive?

Back in the swinging 60s most of the drinkers in town supped halves,it may have been all in the mind but it seemed you could get more down your neck than drinking pints!.It worked for me and my drinking pals we supped enough to float the Queen Mary in!.Those were the days 4 pints and its all full up now I,m an old boy,time marches on I,m afraid!

If they only served beer up in half glasses, it would probably have been known as a 'Gentleman's Bar'.

back then in the 50s never was a great one for English beer,now I liked I.P.A served ice cold the bars stocked maybe 12 bottles in a minnie fridge for the ladys, I would get some very strange looks(like is he or is he not)Canadian beer is very much the same, in fact i dont think you can buy beer in pints:thumbsup::thumbsup:

back then in the 50s never was a great one for English beer,now I liked I.P.A served ice cold the bars stocked maybe 12 bottles in a minnie fridge for the ladys, I would get some very strange looks(like is he or is he not)Canadian beer is very much the same, in fact i dont think you can buy beer in pints:thumbsup::thumbsup:

There are a number of IPAs in the supermarkets these days. Quite few in my fridge as well.

Archived