Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face higher fines

I doubt it will stop the idiots on the road doing their usual style of driving.

On another reporting my pet hates were on there. Being in the wrong lane at a round about. The amount if times I've had people in the right lane whilst I've been going forward just to see them fly past in front of me to go left is ridiculous. And poor lane discipline on round abouts. When I'm going right and the person in the left lane seemingly heading towards the round about itself as thought their steering wheel is locked in straight ahead only.

I doubt it will stop the idiots on the road doing their usual style of driving.

On another reporting my pet hates were on there. Being in the wrong lane at a round about. The amount if times I've had people in the right lane whilst I've been going forward just to see them fly past in front of me to go left is ridiculous. And poor lane discipline on round abouts. When I'm going right and the person in the left lane seemingly heading towards the round about itself as thought their steering wheel is locked in straight ahead only.

And the one where they stop in the right hand lane on a dual carriageway for two miles because they are turning right at the upcoming roundabout.. :huh:

while i agree the police wont enforce it enough,the AA will want to fill its classrooms which at this point im not sure how they are going to do that but im sure they will find a way.

I would make all lane hoggers resit a test not get away with a course or fine,its not enough after all if you dont even know which lane to drive in you really shouldnt be there at all.

This will only work IF the police enforce it. The reason why so many people are happy to flout the law prohibiting mobile phone use is the police don't seem that bothered.

I agree with you 100%. The police wont do anything about it unless they cant find anything else to do you for, same goes with lane discipline on roundabouts, An old friend of mine is a copper (note I said old ,don't have anything to with him anymore,thats another tale). His lane discipline is terrible sits in middle or outside lane all the time then speeds up if anyone goes to pass him. Cut and chops lanes on roundabouts like a physco axe murderer,and if you say anything to him he's like what you on about. and I've noticed a lot of coppers think the same. Sad but true

while i agree the police wont enforce it enough,the AA will want to fill its classrooms which at this point im not sure how they are going to do that but im sure they will find a way.

I would make all lane hoggers resit a test not get away with a course or fine,its not enough after all if you dont even know which lane to drive in you really shouldnt be there at all.

Spot on. There aren't enough police, and for those that are on the road they just give a ticking off when it's clearly an offence, there have been plenty of examples on "Police Interceptors".

I've driven for 12 years but also had lane discipline and roundabouts re drilled into me when I did my bike test. I was having nightmares about roundabouts! I passed with no faults by the way...

The thing is, motorway driving is not taught in driving lessons. You can do, as I did, an advanced course after passing your test, but even then I only got half an hour or so on a motorway. Thankfully my very patient step dad took me on and off various slip roads and asked me to drive him to random places just for the experience. Maybe there needs to be more taught to new drivers?

I've driven for 12 years but also had lane discipline and roundabouts re drilled into me when I did my bike test. I was having nightmares about roundabouts! I passed with no faults by the way...

The thing is, motorway driving is not taught in driving lessons. You can do, as I did, an advanced course after passing your test, but even then I only got half an hour or so on a motorway. Thankfully my very patient step dad took me on and off various slip roads and asked me to drive him to random places just for the experience. Maybe there needs to be more taught to new drivers?

lane discipline is part of your training to drive and clearly in the highway code, which you are meant to have read and learnt. You can't say that people don't know they are meant to stay in the left lane on the motorway. Its just easier to do so. I know I do it, but only when the road is pretty clear and no one is trying to pass me.

There would be no need to raise the fines for middle lane hogging if the police had done their jobs in the first place. They don't have to pull people over, just put on their lights and tell the ignorant jerk to get in the correct lane.

Archived