Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face higher fines

i put my astra in the audi lane, with its blinding xenons pointing as high as possible, it helps me fit in :D

Sorry matey. An Astra isn't German, or sleek. Not many cost £30k +.

Xenons:D

Get back into lane two please:)

Isn't there something a bit dangerous about having to switch from a lane where you are going at a legal speed of 70 MPH to one where the trucks are lumbering a long at 55? I don't remember a lot of lane switching when I used to drive the M1 to London back in the sixties. Its a lot easier here where the trucks are allowed to go at the same speed as you are. The only lane the big guys are not allowed in is the fast lane, but a traffic cop will show a lot of interest in you if you are doing a lot of unnecessary lane switching.

It's not unnecessary if there is a rule that says "drive in the left most lane possible".

It doesn't mean ducking in and out of that lane every 10 seconds though, if there were lorries that close together then you would be continuously overtaking.

Desktop/laptop experts 'r us.

Fair enough but I foresee the situation of the (rare) truly conspicuous lane hogger up ahead. A traffic cop spots him a way off and considers a flash of blue light and a friendly "get back in" gesture when level but before the patrol car manages to get anywhere near, a finger-wagging wannabe policeman-cum-teacher tailgates, swerves past the lane-hogger a lot too close and back in front to get the message across.

In this situation, the lane hogger may have been about to have a word with the cop but the swerving motorist has taken it upon himself to point out the driver's failings.

The traffic cop may consider the swerver as more worthy of a tug since "having a word" is his job and no-one else's and the manoeuvre just witnessed has involved tailgating, small margins for error and increased vehicle instability.

So I won't be the finger-wagging policeman or teacher intent on teaching someone else a lesson. Whether I consider the actions of other drivers unreasonable or illegal, the safest way to negotiate around them is the only way. Anything that compromises safety and falls below the standard to be expected of a competent driver (L-test standard, as it happens and you wouldn't expect a DSA examiner to put up with exaggerated, swerving lane changes, would you?) is "careless driving", soon to be subject to FPN'S.

Two wrongs don't make a right they never have.

Like performing an emergency stop at motorway speeds if someone is tailgating, clearly it's stupid and a policeman should have a word with you.

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 10:22 ----------

I think this video sums it up quite nicely (warning, lots of swearing - turn the volume down)

http://youtu.be/M5dL4DPm-DE

Please get your GTi out of my Audi lane.

Thank you kindly.

Can you please continue tailgating that GTi in the second lane with your Audi? You're stopping me progressing in my Merc.

Thank you kindly :D

Archived