Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face higher fines

Desktop/laptop experts 'r us.

Fair enough but I foresee the situation of the (rare) truly conspicuous lane hogger up ahead. A traffic cop spots him a way off and considers a flash of blue light and a friendly "get back in" gesture when level but before the patrol car manages to get anywhere near, a finger-wagging wannabe policeman-cum-teacher tailgates, swerves past the lane-hogger a lot too close and back in front to get the message across.

In this situation, the lane hogger may have been about to have a word with the cop but the swerving motorist has taken it upon himself to point out the driver's failings.

The traffic cop may consider the swerver as more worthy of a tug since "having a word" is his job and no-one else's and the manoeuvre just witnessed has involved tailgating, small margins for error and increased vehicle instability.

So I won't be the finger-wagging policeman or teacher intent on teaching someone else a lesson. Whether I consider the actions of other drivers unreasonable or illegal, the safest way to negotiate around them is the only way. Anything that compromises safety and falls below the standard to be expected of a competent driver (L-test standard, as it happens and you wouldn't expect a DSA examiner to put up with exaggerated, swerving lane changes, would you?) is "careless driving", soon to be subject to FPN'S.

When the motorways were designed, they recommended long entry and exit ramps with no entry directly into the fast lane. Along with the 3,2,1 chevrons, this has worked out well. They learned the lessons from studying the worst aspects of the Interstates. Many of the older Interstates still have short ramps with entry and exit too close to each other. The parkways, which are for cars only, are even worse with stop signs instead of yields. For this reason above all, the middle lane is the general travel lane. In many states it is legal to pass on either side of the middle lane using care. A shift from the middle lane to either side needs you to use your indicators.

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 13:30 ----------

I wouldn't class myself as a middle lane hogger. I do move over to lane 1 when it is clear for quite a distance. But as we all know, if you move back in to lane 1, it's not very long before you have to move in to lane 2 again due to all the slower lorries. Therefore most drivers tend to stick in lane 2 longer than they, perhaps should ! I'm not sure that prosecuting/ fining drivers for this would be a very good thing. Many accidents on motorways are caused by careless lane changes, this may have the effect of causing excessive lane changing & therefore increase the possibility of careless lane changes. I'm not sure why some people think that sticking to the middle lane is such a problem ? after all, there are 3, sometimes 4, or more lanes which are also there to be used .
The most intelligent post on this thread so far. Some people on this forum just want to moan.

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 13:45 ----------

Can you please continue tailgating that GTi in the second lane with your Audi? You're stopping me progressing in my Merc.

Thank you kindly :D

Anybody got a Ferrari handy?

Sorry matey. An Astra isn't German, or sleek. Not many cost £30k +.

Xenons:D

Get back into lane two please:)

this one is, and did cost over £30k :P

faster than your audi too, its me tailgating the audis and bmws who wont go fast enough :hihi:

Archived