Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face higher fines

Just being devils advocate: Getting back to the 'lane hoggers'....What exactly constitutes a lane hogger?....How many miles would you have to travel in the middle lane? Yes I think we've all been 'stuck' behind 2 lorries, one trying to overtake the other, when they're both limited to 56mph, which goes on for mile after mile. That's pretty clear cut.

I have to admit, sometimes I 'sit' in the middle lane. Simply because I'm travelling faster than traffic on the inner lane. But I'm also mindful of anything behind me, in which case I move over so as not to cause a backup of traffic. Then of course there's the problem of getting 'stuck' in the slow lane, once you move over. If the motorway is busy, it can sometimes take forever to get back out again! Some people do insist on driving in the 'slow' lane on a motorway at 40mph!!

I once travelled the entire length of the M5 from Exeter to Birmingham in the middle lane. It's was a Christmas morning, and there was virtually nothing on the road. Does that constitute lane hogging? Ok, that's an extreme example, but it illustrates a point!

What this might do is educate middle-lane drivers that what they are doing is wrong.

I know a few people who not only drive in the middle lane, but insist on their right to do so. Their reasoning usually goes along the lines of 'I'm a nervous driver and don't feel happy changing lanes so I prefer to get in the middle lane and stay there.'

Apart from the fact that those people maybe shouldn't be on the motorway in the first place, making 'middle lane driving' an offence may make them think about their own driving.

Just being devils advocate: Getting back to the 'lane hoggers'....What exactly constitutes a lane hogger?....How many miles would you have to travel in the middle lane? Yes I think we've all been 'stuck' behind 2 lorries, one trying to overtake the other, when they're both limited to 56mph, which goes on for mile after mile. That's pretty clear cut.

I have to admit, sometimes I 'sit' in the middle lane. Simply because I'm travelling faster than traffic on the inner lane. But I'm also mindful of anything behind me, in which case I move over so as not to cause a backup of traffic. Then of course there's the problem of getting 'stuck' in the slow lane, once you move over. If the motorway is busy, it can sometimes take forever to get back out again! Some people do insist on driving in the 'slow' lane on a motorway at 40mph!!

I once travelled the entire length of the M5 from Exeter to Birmingham in the middle lane. It's was a Christmas morning, and there was virtually nothing on the road. Does that constitute lane hogging? Ok, that's an extreme example, but it illustrates a point!

My interpretation is that if I wish to overtake at anything up to 70mph I move out to the right and move back when i'm done. So long as I myself do not become an obstruction in lane two or three then I see no problem in being there.

I gather there is provision to contest any fine you might receive.

I have to admit, sometimes I 'sit' in the middle lane. Simply because I'm travelling faster than traffic on the inner lane.

If there is a continual stream of slower lorries etc in lane one I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that.

I've always taken the view that if I can move into lane 1 and drive in the space there for about 30 seconds or so before moving back out again then I probably should. Otherwise you will end up popping in and out of lane 1 like a demented meerkat...

If there is a continual stream of slower lorries etc in lane one I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that.

I've always taken the view that if I can move into lane 1 and drive in the space there for about 30 seconds or so before moving back out again then I probably should. Otherwise you will end up popping in and out of lane 1 like a demented meerkat...

I find this perplexing. If you drive along a 3 lane motorway at night in the rain and you are doing the usual 75-80 mph. It isn't good being in the inside lane because of the spray from lorries. So you are doing 5 mph over the speed limit keeping out of the spray, there is a 3rd lane for those who feel the need to drive at 90mph plus. Just who exactly would you be holding up?

That certainly doesn't apply to a 2 lane motorway, but they are getting thin on the ground these days. My beef is with folk on places like the Sheffield Ring Road where they drive from Norton to Darnal in the outside lane because they are turning right at Shepcote Lane. But they just want dragging from their cars to have their baby on board sticker rammed where the sun don't shine.

What is deemed as hogging the middle lane, more than 1/2 a mile? What about traffic jams etc?. It just looks like a revenue generator to me.

The problem being (it seems to me), is that wouldn't you have to be witnessed by plod?....We all know they're a bit sneaky sometimes, but in the grand scheme of things there aren't 'that' many coppers around to enforce it!

Can they not use motorway cameras to identify bad driving practice?

This system is currently being developed in France at the moment.

Just being devils advocate: Getting back to the 'lane hoggers'....What exactly constitutes a lane hogger?....How many miles would you have to travel in the middle lane?

Not moving back into the inside lane when there is sufficient space to do so, there's no set distance.

I think whats most frustrating is middle lane hoggers doing 60 and making everyone crush into the outside lane to overtake.

I have to admit, sometimes I 'sit' in the middle lane. Simply because I'm travelling faster than traffic on the inner lane. But I'm also mindful of anything behind me, in which case I move over so as not to cause a backup of traffic.

Thats quite normal for Rush hour, it becomes a problem when the traffic clears and people continue in the middle lane even tho there is plenty of space in the inside lane.

It's more of a problem when the people are doing 60 :rant:

Some people do insist on driving in the 'slow' lane on a motorway at 40mph!!

I hate those people, I wish them nothing but pain.

Well technically yes, just because there was no-one around to see you do it doesn't mean you weren't hogging.

Afterall breaking the speed limit on an empty road is still against the law, even if it's not causing anyone a problem.

The problem being (it seems to me), is that wouldn't you have to be witnessed by plod?....We all know they're a bit sneaky sometimes, but in the grand scheme of things there aren't 'that' many coppers around to enforce it!

I do around 7-800 motorway miles a week and it can be days between sightings of police...even the unmarked ones can be spotted once you're up close to them.. they are very thin on the ground

Archived