Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face higher fines

Some people do insist on driving in the 'slow' lane on a motorway at 40mph!!

That's half the problem.. people call it the slow lane and as such are loathe to go in it but there is no such thing on the motorway.

What is deemed as hogging the middle lane, more than 1/2 a mile? What about traffic jams etc?. It just looks like a revenue generator to me.

It's an overtaking lane, so if you're not overtaking then you're in the wrong lane. If there's a traffic jam then the left lane will be full & you'll be in the middle lane to overtake, so that's fine. Read your highway code.

I do around 7-800 motorway miles a week and it can be days between sightings of police...even the unmarked ones can be spotted once you're up close to them.. they are very thin on the ground

I suppose you could argue they are out catching 'real criminals'

Nope I don't believe that one either, they're all tied up with stupid paperwork.

About time.

I was getting fed up of educating seemingly every other driver on the M1 (when I appear to be the only car pulling all the way to the left after overtaking one, or a bunch, of hoggers...to the extent that they (as usual-) then pull over left after I've had to pass them in the right lane) :rolleyes:

To the middle lane hoggers: you can still do 80+ in the left lane, you know - there are no speed pixies or such other widgets which physically limit your speed in that lane :rolleyes:

Here's an experiment for you to try next time you come across one, provided conditions permit (and which, by definition, make the hogger a 'hogger'). Pass the hogger on the right, pull all the way to the left and maintain your (overtaking-) speed constant - then watch the hogger do 1 of two things, 90+% of the time: either finally pull left behind you after he 'has been told', or accelerate to try and pass you back.

As regards peeps doing 40mph or even 50mph in anything other than a fully-loaded artic up an incline, they should be likewise fined on the spot for constituting an obstruction. That is the situation in France, and that is rigorously enforced.

And don't get me started on idiots who join the motorway at such 40/50 mph speeds, and then get up to 70 mph...usually after joining the middle lane within 50 yards of the ramp end, with indicator if you're lucky.

/rant

Well technically yes, just because there was no-one around to see you do it doesn't mean you weren't hogging.

Afterall breaking the speed limit on an empty road is still against the law, even if it's not causing anyone a problem.

Well......I suppose in an obtuse way, technically you're right. But wouldn't the definition of 'hogging' be 'actually causing a nuisance to other road users'?

Seems to me that whereas a speed limit is a pretty easy offence to define, middle lane hogging isn't. What will be the definition of such an offence? It seems all very subjective.

I often stay in the middle lane if I can see that I'm gaining ground on something slower in the left lane and if there's nothing trying to overtake me either - does this mean that will now be an offence of not?

Just one question, why?

Hahahaaha...I wonder how long it would take for someone to ask!

Simple really. So that I didn't 'have' to change lanes at all...the road was very very empty, but there were 'some' vehicles on there, and I was travelling quite quickly.....I suppose at the end of the day, it was because I could, without any problems!

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 12:06 ----------

Seems to me that whereas a speed limit is a pretty easy offence to define, middle lane hogging isn't. What will be the definition of such an offence? It seems all very subjective.

I often stay in the middle lane if I can see that I'm gaining ground on something slower in the left lane and if there's nothing trying to overtake me either - does this mean that will now be an offence of not?

That was my query too. It's very ill defined, and a bit wishy-washy!

If they don't prosecute anybody, things will carry on much as usual; or alternatively if they started pulling people willy-nilly I can see it ending up with everybody trundling along at 40 in the left hand lane with nobody daring to move into the middle.

Archived