Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face higher fines

Why the personal attack ??? .... You don't know me !

I've said that i do move in to lane 1, when it is clear, but what is the point of weaving in & out of lanes 1 & 2 , creating danger, when there is no need to ? When the motorway is busy you often get trapped in lane 1.

you only get trapped if you cant drive.

Why the personal attack ??? .... You don't know me !

I've said that i do move in to lane 1, when it is clear, but what is the point of weaving in & out of lanes 1 & 2 , creating danger, when there is no need to ? When the motorway is busy you often get trapped in lane 1.

I 'weave in and out of lanes 1 & 2' all the time as you put it.

Quite frankly I've never created danger, or cut anyone up because there's just no need.

If you pay attention to whats coming up behind you, indicate well before you reach whatever you want to overtake then you can always find a place in the next lane.

If you roll up behind a truck and then only think about overtaking when you're on it's bumper then you will think you 'get stuck in lane 1'

i think you should be taught more during your lessons about motorway driving then maybe people would be more knowledgeable about it. yes it maybe in the highway code however i think you should be asked questions as well to ensure you are reading it either by your instructor or examiner or both.

I don't do as many motorway miles as I used to do, but when I do I travel at 70 mph.

If it's the night or for some other reason the motorway is empty, I will travel in the left hand lane.

If however, as per usual, the motorway is busy with the left lane full of lorrys doing 56 then I will stay in the middle lane, even if an opportunity opens up for me to get in the left lane for 30 seconds or so. Why ? Because I know I will have to fight my way out again when I catch up with the next lorry.

At the end of the day, who am I holding up ? People doing more than 70, so people who are choosing the break the law. I have no problem holding up and annoying law breakers.

As for the announcement, pure pandering to the daily fail/express readers by the Government.

Most motorway cops have HID* headlights too.

So do some cars but I have often found that HID headlights during the day a mile or so back, have turned out to be marked or unmarked police cars.

(*Real HID headlights, not these cheap conversion kits you can get in Halfords)

i have hids in my astra and when they are on, people dont half pull over faster than normal

The problem is simply that people dont move over to allow traffic to pass. speed is irrelevant, the highway code doesnt say that once at the speed limit dont let anyone pass, it says to allow them to pass.

the problem for me isnt restricted to the middle lane, during rush hour, for example, you get people in the outside lane who wont move over to the middle lane.

the thing at night when its quiet though is the people that dawdle along in the middle lane with nothing in the inside lane, its more amusing than annoying though as you can just drive round them

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 23:57 ----------

I don't do as many motorway miles as I used to do, but when I do I travel at 70 mph.

If it's the night or for some other reason the motorway is empty, I will travel in the left hand lane.

If however, as per usual, the motorway is busy with the left lane full of lorrys doing 56 then I will stay in the middle lane, even if an opportunity opens up for me to get in the left lane for 30 seconds or so. Why ? Because I know I will have to fight my way out again when I catch up with the next lorry.

At the end of the day, who am I holding up ? People doing more than 70, so people who are choosing the break the law. I have no problem holding up and annoying law breakers.

As for the announcement, pure pandering to the daily fail/express readers by the Government.

that in itself is a driving offence

Well SYP could make a fortune if they wait at the top of the M1 southbound exit at j33, every evening I see several motorists in the LH lane (signed Rotherham) cut motorists up to get round to the Parkway.

personally I think this is just another money making scheme. I think it will cause people to panic that they may have spent too long in the middle lane and prompt erratic driving.

I also think this will increase traffic on busy motorways. What happens when the motorway is very slow moving like the m25 often is. Are we now to face fines if we don't all stay on the left. I think that people will now be concentrating on avoiding fines rather than safe driving like they already do when the slam their brakes on suddenly at speed cameras. I have never seen this as a problem before.

personally I think this is just another money making scheme. I think it will cause people to panic that they may have spent too long in the middle lane and prompt erratic driving.

I also think this will increase traffic on busy motorways. What happens when the motorway is very slow moving like the m25 often is. Are we now to face fines if we don't all stay on the left. I think that people will now be concentrating on avoiding fines rather than safe driving like they already do when the slam their brakes on suddenly at speed cameras. I have never seen this as a problem before.

You know that wont be the case don't you and there shouldn't be any need to concentrate on avoiding fines.

In general most people on the motorways do maintain a sense of safety so they have little to worry about. It's for the odd few that have no understanding of the problems they cause when blocking a lane at any speed. If there's a space to move in to, to let someone pass do it, what coud be easier. Alas ignorance takes over doesn't it and that's why these silly laws come about.

i think you should be taught more during your lessons about motorway driving then maybe people would be more knowledgeable about it. yes it maybe in the highway code however i think you should be asked questions as well to ensure you are reading it either by your instructor or examiner or both.

yes motorway lessons....

how to drive in a staight line keeping left unless the need arises,move right to over take before moving back left again.

How many lessons do you think that should take?

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 10:38 ----------

panic?

you make it sound hard to use the left lane unless overtaking.

The fact is which everybody has over looked is that fines for lane hoggers isnt set in stone,its actually a smoke screen for the price increases to ALL fines.

I've seen signs saying that weaving from lane to lane is dangerous; seems ironic to then enforce "catch up to slower vehicle, move to middle lane, quickly cut back in and catch up to next, swing out and in again,,,,,,and so forth", meaning that you are weaving, or would be if you followed the same course on an empty road.

Archived